CrazyBoards.org

Having failed Celexa, Lexapro (yeah, I know), Zoloft, Effexor and Cymbalta, I'm now trying the old warhorse as a last attempt at new generation antidepressants before trying either the tricyclics or maois.

I started Prozac (generic fluoxetine) at the beginning of the month and was just increased to 40 mgs/day. No effect yet. We'll see.

goodluck greeny, you never know (really.)

remind me if you've tried lamictal or not?

if not, I really think that it'd be of worth to try before going to the old school ad's -- it tends to also kick in a lot faster (and at lower doses) for depression. I owe my remission to it and would hate for you to miss something if it might save you the hassles of maoi's, etc.

just a thought (and it's entirely possible you've tried it already, cannot remember for the life of me!)

luck,

something will work. really.

m

Greeny, the only AD i've ever been able to tolerate has been prozac. And it;s on the 4$ gen. list at walmart. I only took 20 mg. And I'm thinking about getting back on.

Lamictal isn't FDA approved for depression, but my pdoc said a lot of people use the drug for it. It works well. I think (not sure though) you have to hit a certain dosage before it works as a mood stablizer. Before that, more of an antidepressant effect. It worked super well for my depression. The side effects weren't bad for me. If Prozac doesn't work, maybe you could ask your pdoc about giving it a shot.

Having failed Celexa, Lexapro (yeah, I know), Zoloft, Effexor and Cymbalta, I'm now trying the old warhorse as a last attempt at new generation antidepressants before trying either the tricyclics or maois.

I started Prozac (generic fluoxetine) at the beginning of the month and was just increased to 40 mgs/day. No effect yet. We'll see.

Abilify just got officially approved for depression. Lamictal is said to work for many depressed people. (Just up the dosage slowly and watch out for the rash.) Wellbutrin plays with your dopamine and norepinephrine. I don't think you took anything that affected dopamine before (based on your list).

Then there's Remeron...

Maybe BuSpar?

Low-low-level lithium? (If your blood level approaches the level that's therapeutic for bipolar patients, you're probably taking too much.)

My current meds include Wellbutrin at 450 mgs/day and Prozac and 40 mgs/day. The Prozac is replacing Cymbalta, 120 mgs/day, which wasn't working, which replaced Zoloft @ 200 mgs/day. The Zoloft/Wellbutrin combo worked quite well for over two years and then slowly diminished in effectiveness since fall last year.

Several articles I've read point to using T3 or lithium to augment an incomplete response to antidepressants. I'd be willing to try either of those options before moving on to old skool TCAs or MAOIs. Remeron has a nasty reputation for causing serious weight gain and somnolence, up with which neither will I put. And Abilify, indeed the entire scheme of marketing antipsychotics for depression, pisses me off so much I will avoid them at (almost) all costs.

hey again,

lamictal was (is) a god-send for me -- and I'm 98% on the depressive side myself (no other dx has been really considered). under 150mg or so it has great AD properties and is getting more recognition and use for treatment resistant depression. I reallyreally think it's worth some research and talking to your pdoc.

I added the lamictal to 450mg of wellbutrin xl and 150mg of zoloft (so otherwise, we're pretty much on the same page) and the combination has given me my life back. I didn't realize how long that I'd been depressed until I wasn't anymore! I feel like I'm in 4th grade again, before the depression started slowly setting in. I still have my rough days, but this is one stone that I'd hate for you to leave unturned. I never would have thought of it or suggested it to my pdoc if not for some people here on CB talking about how well it can treat depression.. it was kinda a 'what the hell, might as well try' med and ended up being a lifesaver, don't give up, it happens.

well, there's my little lamictal advert, hopefully later I can pull up some articles for you (I saved a bunch when I was doing my research before asking about it last fall)...not saying that it's the beallendall or anything, just worth adding to your list of options ;)

luck,

m

Guest GooberPeas

Opinions wanted: I'm currently on 20mg prozac, 150mg wellbutrin sr and 5-20mg valium (as needed) for depression and GAD (have been for about 4 years). I feel pretty good. This has been the best combo for me. I've also tried effexor and serzone, both sucked big time. The worst part of my situation is a lack of interest in sex and it's putting a strain on my marriage. I talked to my pdoc and he suggested switching out the prozac for lamictal. I'm considering it, but really scared. I hate the side effects of going on and off meds, I seem to be especially sesitive to it and it makes me hard to live with. What if the lamictal doesn't work and then I have to get off of it and back on to prozac? Ugggghhhhhhhhhhh! My kids need a normal mother, my husband deserves a normal wife. I'd like to have a sex drive again. Should I give the lamictal a try?

lamictal was (is) a god-send for me

I've said those exact words so many times I cannot even count them.

I will take Lamictal until I die. It really doesn't cause any side effects for me. I am bipolar, but I know people with unipolar depression who have had luck on it.

My current meds include Wellbutrin at 450 mgs/day and Prozac and 40 mgs/day. The Prozac is replacing Cymbalta, 120 mgs/day, which wasn't working, which replaced Zoloft @ 200 mgs/day. The Zoloft/Wellbutrin combo worked quite well for over two years and then slowly diminished in effectiveness since fall last year.

If Wellbutrin + Cymbalta didn't work, I'm not so sure Wellbutrin + Prozac would. Still, it's worth a shot.

Several articles I've read point to using T3 or lithium to augment an incomplete response to antidepressants.

Double-check the articles to see *which* antidepressants were successfully augmented with T3 or lithium. IIRC, that tactic works more for the TCAs than the SSRIs and SNRIs.

And for what it's worth, I'd second any suggestion for combining an anticonvulsant/mood-stabilizer with Wellbutrin.

• 9 months later...

well, there's my little lamictal advert, hopefully later I can pull up some articles for you (I saved a bunch when I was doing my research before asking about it last fall)...not saying that it's the beallendall or anything, just worth adding to your list of options ;)

luck,

m

Super old post, but...

Meg,

I'm about to start Lamictal (I actually originally looked into it because of how much you've said it helped your unipolar depression!) If you still have those articles saved on your computer, would you mind sharing some links? If you don't have them anymore, no worries!

well, there's my little lamictal advert, hopefully later I can pull up some articles for you (I saved a bunch when I was doing my research before asking about it last fall)...not saying that it's the beallendall or anything, just worth adding to your list of options.

Super old post, but...

Meg,

I'm about to start Lamictal (I actually originally looked into it because of how much you've said it helped your unipolar depression!) If you still have those articles saved on your computer, would you mind sharing some links? If you don't have them anymore, no worries!

Hey Daisy,

You think this post is old? 1 year? Nah, it's only a baby :) am gonna link you to an October 2007 post, haha. I lovelove this about CB.

I poked around online again since my bookmarks are useless when it comes to stuff from more than 6 months ago but *did* find this post Anyone take Lamictal for UNIPOLAR depression? from when I was still titrating up on Lamictal, only at 50mg and on my 4th day of feeling a little better ;) and there are other experiences there too.

Will look around some more, am an internet research nerd.

hths,

m

ps- hmm..it's kinda embarassing how much posting about myself I'm doing lately (and did then.) but let's blame it on my cocktail, shall we?

pps (ha)- thanks for getting me started on this, I've been meaning to make a good med history for a long time and this is making it super easy.

lamictal was (is) a god-send for me

I've said those exact words so many times I cannot even count them.

I will take Lamictal until I die. It really doesn't cause any side effects for me. I am bipolar, but I know people with unipolar depression who have had luck on it.

Amen to that. Having tried lithium and depakote (and neither of them agreed with me or seemed to have much effect, Lamictal was/is the shizzle! Minimal side effects (apart from an occasional itch) and so far, no incidence of depression (which affected me much more than the mania - which was a bugger for my credit cards - oops!). I take my Lamictal with Prozac and it really seems to have helped (apart from my recent bout of mania, which now seems almost under control).

It doesn't work for everyone, and there are many people who do well on lithium and depakote and say the very same things about them. It is absolutely trial and error although, once you find something that works for you, it can make such a difference!

Good luck!

LW

x

Archived