CrazyBoards.org

Valuable Tools for Making Life Easier When Dealing With Bipolar Disorder!

2936566601.jpg

Valuable Tools for Making Life Easier When Dealing With Bipolar Disorder!

Throughout the years, I have learned different techniques to help me to cope with episodes associated with Bipolar Disorder.

• Listening to quiet relaxing music.
  • Making journal entries.
  • Getting involved in a support group and if one is not one available, think about starting one yourself.
  • Not isolating yourself but getting out and enjoying life.
  • Visiting with family and friends.
  • Going to visit someone in the hospital or maybe in a nursing home, which helps you realize that even with a disease, there are still other people struggling that you could cheer up
  • Being 100% honest with yourself, regardless of the outcome. The result is greater self-esteem and integrity.
  • Reminding yourself that when you think you have reached your darkest hour, that hour is only 60 minutes long and that the next hour could be better just like the one after that one and after that.
  • Never settling - life is too valuable. We can have a quality life even though our circumstances are difficult at times.
  • Creating a support system so they can help you maintain accountability - this is crucial

You've already published your blog entry on the topic, and added a general reference in your signature. Are you looking for things to add to your "toolbox" or are you trying to tell us your life is set on "rinse, lather, repeat?"

Personally, I really wouldn't recommend hospital and nursing home visitations unless the people being visited are friends and family and understand why you sometimes just cannot be there, after promising you would be.

Seriously though, do you have any original thoughts of your own on BP, or are you going to continue to [link=http://www.bipolarcentral.com/articles/ValuableTools.asp" target="_blank]borrow someone else's work[/link] as Null has duly pointed out?

Copying and pasting hither and thither, thither and yon is just annoying.

edited for grammar

Um. Copying someone's full text, word for word, without even citing the source?

That's tacky. Oh, wait. It's not tacky, it's copyright infringement.

If she thought it was fabulously helpful information, she could post the link with commentary.

And, FWIW, the "visiting the invalids" recommendation... that was sort of odd. I sent a note to the actual author to discuss it. (Heck, isn't that the purpose of group therapy? To look around and think, "OK, it's bad, but I could be That Dude." So I'm told, anyway.) Seriously. If I was really good and manic, and someone told me, "Go visit random people at the hospital," I can see some serious problems arising out of that little scenario. Jeez. It sounds like a weird Adam Sandler/Jim Carrey movie.

I recommend a change to the (non-Tracy Ann) recommendation. Go volunteer at your local homeless shelter/soup kitchen or food bank... especially the food bank... to gain some perspective on a situation. Food banks (around here at least) are overloaded, and they're in desperate need of some help, not to mention food. Sign up for 3 months of work - they need the long-term help, not just sporadic.

ETA: fix typos, clarification.

Let's give the benefit of the doubt, that Tracy is actually tryin to help us with BP, just in a way some find inappropriate for a forum that is meant for personal experiences.

It's the thought that counts after all! ;)

I'm personally giving her the benefit of the doubt in that I assume this behavior is driven by the impulsivity and poor judgment of mania, rather than straightup thievery. Still, that's not a free pass.

If I get manic, and I steal money out of your coat pocket so that I can buy copies of a helpful book on bipolar disorder, that's not acceptable either.

Plagiarism is theft of intellectual property - not cool.

Maybe her motive was "good." Wouldn't it be pretty to think so?

Archived