CrazyBoards.org

My Different Phases. The Need to Know!

I am trying to recognize my different phases at the early stages, and try to control them, and at least warn my family and loved ones when I feel an "episode" coming on. Sometimes I am successful and sometimes not, but I am determined to somehow gain control over this condition. It is so helpful to read of other's experiences with this disorder, and makes me feel less alone. It let's me know that other's do understand and relate to this. It is a hard one to explain to someone who has not been there. I wish all of you peace and healing. I look forward to your comments on my posts. It makes me feel less alone!

I'm happy to see you trying to recognize your own warning signs. That is awesome. You said you want to help your family be able to tell it is coming. Why don't you ask them what they noticed about you the last time you had an episode? I bet they noticed more than you did. I've noticed that the longer I've realized I've had a mental illness, the better I get at coping with it. I know so much about what I need to do and when to help myself.

You learning your warning signs are part of that process. Once you know the warning signs, you can get to the psychiatrist and get a med change hopefully fast enough to ward it off. I'm sure you've done enough research to know the typical signs of an episode. I would recommend paying attention to your sleep. If you ever start being refreshed with less and less sleep, it may be mania coming on. That is one of the more obvious signs of it.

Anyhow good luck! ;)

Well for me....depression triggers can be as serious as a death of a friend or loved one, to as benign as seeing a blinded bird on my bird feeder, ran into a car or tree, and just waiting there for death.

Mania triggers can be as serious as recieving a check in the mail for a substantial amount of money (such as income tax return) or as benign as a sudden clearing on an othewise depressingly rainy day.

But it is true that when they happen, you begin to recognize them, and can make an effort to squelch or at least somewhat subdue your reaction and think of the consequences.

Granted, this is easier with depression onset versus mania onset. Mania happens faster following the trigger. You need to be on the correct medications to handle both.

Have fun with that part, LOL! I've had such difficulty with meds. They either totally sedate me (lithium) or send me reeling (Cymbalta). Had to quit both and try try try....

Awareness of the initial phase following a trigger is key to overcoming a major episode.

Hang in there! ;)

Archived