CrazyBoards.org

The Pillar of the family

Anybody else here have people that expect you to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders? Even knowing that you are completely debilitated at times? I love my husband and kids and sometimes they are the worst offenders but it doesn't stop there. Extended family too! They think because they see me in my manic phases accomplishing alot and getting things done, that they need to tap into my energy and suck the life out of me! Then when I'm low it never fails, they all bail. Or, my dh who is the WORST becomes depressed or something and expects me to be able to cater to him when I'd rather run in the other direction and jump off a bridge!

I don't know if this makes sense. It's just something that I deal with alot. Everyone enjoys the fruits of my disability...but no one truly cares.....

Anybody else here have people that expect you to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders? Even knowing that you are completely debilitated at times?

I totally know this. My job is like this. We have so many changes going on right now due to budget & staffing cuts, opening up a day program, and on & on. They expect me to do an incredible amount of work, do it well, & compensate for another manager who can't hold her own. They know I'm really hypomanic right now and are getting as much as they can out of me. Yet they know I crash & have been out of works for months at a time a few different times after the crash. But I'm on fire right now & they love it.

People close to me at work have told me to slow down, that they don't want me to go out again.

My time with my tdoc is mostly working on skills for work and work stress.

My pdoc is not impressed with how my job works. He says "Of course they love your work right now. Here's some seroquel XR. Start it NOW."

The strange thing about my job is that I can work from home at different times and be very flexible with my schedule. So even though on one hand it is a high stress job, I couldn't work a regular 9-5 job. They are understanding when I'm out of my mind. But it doesn't mean they won't capitalize on my highpoints. Oh well.

Oreo ;)

I can relate also, only it's my own FAMILY that drains the life out of me, expecting everything, giving nothing or very little in return. They see me hypomanic, doing stuff easily, then fail to understand the indisputable fact (for 30 years now) that I am bipolar, aka MANIC/DEPRESSIVE.

When I can't jump through hoops for them, they act like I'm just selfish and don't care, when I'm so depressed I can't get out of bed. It just pisses me off! ;)

They love me when I'm up and are not supportive of me at all when I'm down!

They love banging the bible at me saying shit like "depression is a SIN" and "Psychiatry is not biblical!"

Maybe not, but it is GOD who made me this way, GOD who makes me want to help them when I can, and I hate to say it but GOD is supportive and loving, and understanding UNLIKE my stupid ungrateful family.

Hang in there....we understand here.

Archived