CrazyBoards.org

I spend alot of time daydreaming. Keeps me awake at night sometimes. I don't know how to stop these daydreams. I often daydream that I'm somebody else, different name, different style, different everything.

Aside from how to stop it, what's causing it? Is this some kind of a disorder?

Excessive preoccupation with own thoughts is probably a part of a large number of mental disorders.

It could also just be your temper.

I don't think the "thought-material" (imagining being someone else) is as important as how your thinking disrupts your daily life. Do you think you seek some kind of refuge in these thoughts, or is daydreaming more of a baseline standard, which you have to pull yourself away from?

Excessive preoccupation with own thoughts is probably a part of a large number of mental disorders.

It could also just be your temper.

I don't think the "thought-material" (imagining being someone else) is as important as how your thinking disrupts your daily life. Do you think you seek some kind of refuge in these thoughts, or is daydreaming more of a baseline standard, which you have to pull yourself away from?

It just happens. No matter how hard I try to distract myself, I always find new "material" for the daydreams. I feel so unproductive because of this.

I remember reading somewhere that for most people, one-third to one-half of their thoughts (while awake) would qualify as daydreaming. So it's pretty normal. Unless it's giving you trouble.

It just happens. No matter how hard I try to distract myself, I always find new "material" for the daydreams. I feel so unproductive because of this.

For me, my daydreaming (including daymares...!) is most definitely a symptom. I have to distract myself constantly to get anything done or be able to carry a conversation - my thoughts are always drifting. My daydreaming is linked to a lot of other things; hallucinations of all kinds, ruminating, constantly being absent-minded, thinking in general, trouble differentiating thoughts from reality. I totally recognize just having to think constantly, regardless of whether I actually have something relevant to think about. Unproductive? Yea.

...or maybe I'm just bored and make stuff up to occupy my mind with something! ;)

I think it would probably qualify as a symptom for any disorder which has some introverted feature to it, and I doubt it is a disorder all on it's own! Maybe you can try and figure out if it's linked to something - are you bored/is it compulsive or repetitive/does it lead to other things? (apart from being unproductive!)

When I have lots and lots of daydreams, they tend to happen because I'm having a mood swing and am bored. Treating the mood swing helps, as does having work or other things to occupy my thoughts. Fiction, especially TV and movies, tends to make it worse. Geodon made it really bad. YMMV.

Where does your material for your daydreams come from?

material for my daydreams comes from any situation that stirs up my emotions---good . bad . ugly .--anything that gets a rise out of me. sometimes my nightdreams fuel my daydreams. a good book or movie or song or work of art can also be a good jumping board into a daydream. also really good daydreams beget even more daydreams. ;)

Me too. I can't count how many times I've married the man of my dreams, so to speak.

;)

Research this but, I think I was told by a therapist today in my DBT group skills learning class that daydreaming could be Disassociation which is a TRAIT of BPD. Today was my first class, sooo...

One has to have five of the traits of BPD and it has to interfere in your functioning.

I'm interested in what you think about this...

Warmly,

Sunshine Outside

Archived