CrazyBoards.org

Desensitization therapy

if you're doing desensitization therapy to overcome anxiety, but the distress inducing activities push you into a derealization episode, have you crossed the line and need to draw back in degree of exposure? or is this just exactly the kind of intensity you are seeking with exposure therapy?

Tenebrae, I don't know if you saw this article when I posted it, but the therapy described in this story seems to me to be a type of desensitization. Here's the link: http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=23506

I know it's the military and PTSD, which is not your situation, but it seems to me that there are some valid similarities.

Anyway, I thought you might find the method described in the article to be interesting.

olga

Olga,

That sounds like amazing therapy, and I am glad to see they have it out there for men coming home from war.

I know my uncle was never the same after Vietnam, and the weirdest things would trigger him.

If he had been able to do something like this, it could have made a huge difference in his life.

It is interesting to note that with the advent of the internet, my social phobia has decreased dramatically, and my social skills have been markedly improved. (yeah i know, but you should have seen me BEFORE!) THIS virtual reality has done wonders for facilitating my behavior out there, so i know the concepts work.

What's proving problematic is the disconnect I experience when going out in the world and flooding my senses with the very things that terrify me.

I'm wondering if even with said disconnect, the same brain re-training is ocurring, or if the emotional numbness, and surreal dream state interfere with that process.

Honestly, I am afraid to approach my tdoc with this just yet, because i am fearful that she will for some reason want to ramp up the experience. Of course she seems to know the process very well, and I trust she would do what is appropriate. I was just hoping for some anecdotal information on the subject, or perhaps further information on the process itself.

Honestly, I am afraid to approach my tdoc with this just yet, because i am fearful that she will for some reason want to ramp up the experience.

What evidence do you have to support that fear?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I suggest approaching her, and including a description of this specific fear.

Thus far, she seems to have been able to ramp up or down and change with your needs.

What kind of symptoms do you experience during the episode? A numbness where you aren't feeling much of anything? Flashes or sensory experiences related to the PTSD events? Or something different?

Tenebrae, sorry about your uncle. A lot of those guys received no treatment at all and had their lives ruined.

I think you need to raise this issue with the tdoc. I can't believe that she would want to move this therapy along so quickly that you get overwhelmed. I mean, her goal is to help you get stronger. In that article, the therapists would only add sounds and scents to the experience with the permission of the patient---so the therapy was moving along at HIS pace, not at a pre-set formula pace.

But I'll shut up and hope that others here will give you their feedback and experiences. I have a good feeling about your therapist.

olga

Olga, please don't ever shut up, you have great words.

Luna -- I feel like I am existing in a detached dream state. Like my body is going through the motions, but I am not fully present for it, or I am present, but disconnected, if that makes sense. It's all kinda filtered, foggy, hazy. Autopilot. With a fog machine.

Silver, i will definitely discuss with her, and hahaha! wise guy! but actually the fear is based on last appt, i went in and started talking and the next thing you know i was at a coffee shop! yipes!

May I?

Perhaps if you just "let go" you'll "catch up" to yourself and slowly flow out of the dream state and back into your body. I think it's a protective mechanism that is holding you back. You are just outside yourself and once you are used to the experiences, you'll be back in your body. It's a good thing. Stay with it and the T-doc. Tell her everything.

But I don't really know the therapy, I was just reading along and wanting to help. ;)

Bleeze

Archived