CrazyBoards.org

Boy thought he caused 9/11

Hi,

I am not good with links but I found this story in the British Psychological Society's "Research Digest" blog. A British boy with ocd and tourette's, ten years old, believed he caused the world trade center disaster because he failed to perform one of his rituals.

He was ten at the time of the attacks. If someone is good with links maybe they could somehow put this up. Felt awful for this boy, but over time he has gotten better with meds and also by learning that the attacks really happened before his failed ritual, as he had not taken into account the time difference between the US and England.

Leopard

Wow. That's actually kind of sad for me to read about.

And not to make light of this situation or the boy's rituals... but, I am really bad with time difference and time zones... so I can see where this could have been a probblem.

OCD can really mess with you, and for a kid, it's probably even harder to understand that, even if your OCD is telling you something is your fault for not doing a ritual, it really isn't your fault. I used to belong to an OCD support group where a woman said she knew it wasn't true, but her mind told her that if she didn't perform a ritual properly, her favorite sports team would lose, and it would be all her fault. I have these kinds of thoughts about all kinds of things, even though I know they're not real. But the guilt those thoughts can induce are horrible!

1st Post ;)

Speaking from personal experience, i have mild OCD, nothing severe like the poor kid in this topic. It can mess with your head, my biggest problem is leaving my house, and trying to remember whether ive locked the door or not IS EXTREMELY ANNOYING. I know Ihave locked the door, yet my mind tells me its not, and i get a horrible tight feeling in my head which i hate, so i have to go back frequently to check if its locked.

I fail to truely understand how a boy can blame himself for such a terrible event, i would not say he had OCD, but a brain problem, and possibly he was Physcotic.

Archived