CrazyBoards.org

Oxytocin - a cure for debilitating shyness?

• 4 months later...

wow...that seems so weird to me. i'm a nursing student, in maternity right now...and oxytocin usually causes horrible contractions for the patients. i mean, i believe it could possibly cure shyness and whatnot, but i think the risk would totally outweigh the benefit. and what's weird is they don't mention the contractions at all. the pills that they offer today, even the smallest dose, they'll cut in half and it causes crazy contractions.

The potential uses of oxytocin offer commercial possibilities well beyond individual patients too. Restaurants, for instance, could spray a thin mist over customers to put them at ease.

It could be used as a benign form of tear gas, quelling any violent feelings among groups of demonstrators, or, building on the Atlanta research, even to prevent extramarital affairs.

However, despite the many potential benefits of the research projects, some scientists have sounded warnings over the negative potential uses the hormone offers.

They say oxytocin could have potential as a date-rape drug as it is involved in both trust and sexual arousal.

This part sort of creeps me out...

I think the mind-control/deception aspects are a bit overblown. News stories tend to amp up sensationalism. And at least in the U.S. some forms of oxytocin are illegal, or at least unlikely - no one's going to be spraying oxytocin all over their customers any time soon.

hahah woww....that's crazy. yeah, i doubt they would ever allow that in america. that's disgusting that someone would even think of that idea. oxytocin is totally illegal otc in our country (obviously...but in actuality in some countries it's legal and they use it to stimulate abortions, which is why this story is crazy to me)....so i doubt they'd ever be spraying it in the air in restaurants. kinda funny though.

Archived