CrazyBoards.org

Physical triggers

I'm just curious what kinds of objects have been triggers for people. Even though I have been doing much better for a long time now, if I pick up a sharp knife, it feels like a pulsation goes to my brain, and I have to put the knife down, or I am very uncomfortable. I have never used a knife for the purpose of harming myself, so I don't understand why I am having this problem. Has anyone else had this experience with knives or other objects?

I get that too. Not just with knives, but with any object you can harm people with (I can be quite creative, mind you). It's this fear that, out of nowhere, I'm just going to frantically stab someone or poke someone's eye out or something. So far, I have been able to reason with myself on account of never having been close to doing any such thing.

My friend once told me about a fear she had; she wasn't afraid of heights, but she was afraid of *accidentally* jumping off high places.

To me, the fear is related to what horrid thing you can potentially do with that object, and what horrid thing you might be capable of yourself.

I used to have intrusive thoughts related to OCD that I was going to harm someone around me that I cared about. It sucked so bad. I'd avoid situations where I'd have the ability to harm someone. I thought I was absolutely nuts because I was a kid and had no idea what OCD was. I eventually realized that it was just an OCD episode and it would eventually go away. Once I realized that it affected me less because I knew it was just part of the illness and it would go away. Worrying about it and not knowing what it was gave it power over me. It used to come and go before medication. Now I haven't had issues with that in a long time. What you are talking about reminds me very much of my experience. When I have a fleeting thought like that I just tell myself to shut up.

Archived