CrazyBoards.org

My god, I'm like a crazy person magnet. I swear there's a big, flashing sign on my head that says:

Attention Crazy People - Come here!

Seriously though, most of my friends are Grade A crazy. Well, at least the friends I've had for a long time. I think it's because it's hard to lose another friend who's crazy. I can go for 3 months without calling them, and when I do call 'em, it's as if we just hung out yesterday. They understand when they call me and I don't want to do anything, and I understand when they do the same. I know several of them are on psych meds. I swear I dont' seek out unstable people. (My absolute best friends are all very stable; good thing too, cuz I need healthy people to fall back on)

Anyway, one of them is getting seriously out of control. I'm not even sure what his problem is. I can't think of any diagnosis which fits his personality though. Depression + avoident personality maybe? Either way, he's got issues, and they're wrecking his life and impinging on mine.

In fact, I think he may just be crazier than me.

I've always suspected that he had issues. I pick up on that stuff real quick. My suspicions were confirmed later when I found out he used to be in therapy. I think the stress in his life has just overwhelmed him. I wonder if he realizes how bad he is.

I think it's time I confront him. God, I don't want to, but it's gotta be done.

I'm debating how I want to approach the subject. I'm normally extremely blunt, and I don't have a problem telling one of my friends "hey, you're being an ass. Either lay off or explain to me what exactly is up with you!" I don't think that would be wise this time with him. He's turned really defensive, and if I corner him, he might just clam up altogether. I'm not over dramatizing this either. He's really screwed himself already, and he's not gonna have a single friend left if he's not careful.

I think I'm going to invite him over for a beer, and just ask him how life's been lately. I'm pretty sure he wants to talk about it because he has dropped little hints. I do the same thing when I'm depressed and I want someone else to confront me. This will be interesting. I'm thinking I may reveal my own dx if he's reluctant to get help. Maybe that will encourage him.

Well, if you are feeling it's time to say something, by all means LISTEN TO YOUR INNER VOICE.

I can't stress this enough to people. You might miss an opportunity to save him from himself, or at least make him aware that you care enough to notice a problem.

If he's defensive again, then yes tell him about your own dx, it may make him open up a bit, and admit he needs help.

You might mention "70% of people with mental illness never get treated, never seek help, due to the stigma" and that it's not worth it. Who cares what people think?

You are a good friend to confront him.

Archived