CrazyBoards.org

My pdoc (a fellow at the hospital who is now gone by the way... I have rotating psychiatrists I think. I will be seeing my 5th new one in a year now.) suggested if the 2.5 mg of Zyprexa twice a day doesnt bring down the anxiety level that Vistaril a few times a day instead may help but mentioned Vistaril being an antihistamine or something?

I thought she said Restoril with her accent but she corrected me. Vistaril.

This is a new one for me. None of the benzos helped. They didn't touch my anxiety at all. None of the antidepressants worked except for Paxil/Zyprexa combo and I've ballooned weight wise but she said she doesn't know what else to do. Hmph.

Vistaril? Thoughts?

I took Vistaril for anxiety for a long time. It's really IMO better for chronic anxiety than acute atacks. But some pdocs prescribe antihistamines for anxiety as a matter of course. If to give it a chance you may be pleasantly surprised.

My pdoc (a fellow at the hospital who is now gone by the way... I have rotating psychiatrists I think. I will be seeing my 5th new one in a year now.) suggested if the 2.5 mg of Zyprexa twice a day doesnt bring down the anxiety level that Vistaril a few times a day instead may help but mentioned Vistaril being an antihistamine or something?

I thought she said Restoril with her accent but she corrected me. Vistaril.

This is a new one for me. None of the benzos helped. They didn't touch my anxiety at all. None of the antidepressants worked except for Paxil/Zyprexa combo and I've ballooned weight wise but she said she doesn't know what else to do. Hmph.

Vistaril? Thoughts?

I have been prescribed this in the past for sleep. Didn't do squat for sleep or anxiety. FWIW.

S9

• 2 months later...

What is hydroxyzine?

Hydroxyzine depresses activity in the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord), which causes relaxation and relief from anxiety. Therefore, hydroxyzine is used to treat anxiety disorders and tension in stressful situations--before surgery, for example.

Hydroxyzine may also increase the effects of other medicines, such as pain relievers and sedatives, so it is useful after surgery also.

Hydroxyzine is also an antihistamine. It blocks the effects of the naturally occurring chemical histamine in your body. This makes hydroxyzine useful for treating allergic conditions, especially those that involve the skin, such as hives, itching, and rashes.

Hydroxyzine may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

Follow the link for more info.

Vistaril was awesome for my niece.

It was used prn when she was having "meltdowns" while in-patient.

It helped her calm down and also helped some of her rages.

Archived