CrazyBoards.org

Hello,

I'm really bored with my life. It's been getting worse lately. My girlfriend told me I'm probably depressed, which is why I'm posting here.

I don't know what to do about it. I'd like to do something about it, but I don't know what.

I've never had a traumatic experience, bad youth, family problems or anything like that. I'm very financially stable, I have a stable job, I have a great relationship. I don't have any friends where I currently live, but I have good friends back home. I suppose that bugs me, but I just don't feel like making any new friends.

I've worked hard in my career and it's starting to pay off. But I'm absolutely bored with it. I couldn't care less anymore. I called off sick today just because I was so bored being in my office. I know that if I continued to apply myself, I'd have an incredible career ahead of me. But I just don't see a point in doing so.

It feels like the magic in life is gone. I don't see a point of doing anything anymore. I don't like watching movies because I don't see a point in watching something not real. Same with reading novels. I used to enjoy reading comic books, so I tried to again for fun. It didn't last long -- it felt pointless after a while. I have a huge compassion for music. I browse online stores looking for new music, but I don't like any of it. I listen to a lot of older stuff I have, but again, it quickly feels pointless. I dug up my copy of The Avalanches' Since I Left You. I loved it. I had my headphones on full volume. About an hour later, something just died. I didn't see a point to listening anymore. The magic was gone.

I try to think of things that would make me happy. I could leave my job and just do whatever I want. But I know as soon as I do that, I'd start to worry about my long-term financial status so much that I'd go back to a job. Damned if I do, damned if I don't, I guess. I went to Europe a year ago for a few weeks. No job, no family around, just me. I kept worrying about my future. I don't know if that's a separate issue or not.

Anyway, I thought I'd post something and see if anyone might be able to help. I'm hoping I don't get a reply like "you need to find God." I'm also expecting I might get a "wtf grow up."

I've browsed through the rest of the forum and I realize the vast majority of people here have more important problems than me being bored, so I apologize for posting something possibly petty.

Thanks

Anyway, I thought I'd post something and see if anyone might be able to help. I'm hoping I don't get a reply like "you need to find God." I'm also expecting I might get a "wtf grow up."

You might get one of those. But hate to tell you champ, you sound depressed. Not finding enjoyment in things you usually do? That's a big one.

How are you sleeping? Eating? Feeling physically? How's your relationship?

Your motivation seems effected.

How are you communicating with people?

I've browsed through the rest of the forum and I realize the vast majority of people here have more important problems than me being bored, so I apologize for posting something possibly petty.

Thanks

Man, we all have issues. I don't think you are just bored and there's no caste system here so you aren't considered an untouchable and not in need of assistance or deserving of it.

If that makes sense. Hope so. Oh well.

Luna.

How are you sleeping? Eating? Feeling physically? How's your relationship?

Your motivation seems effected.

How are you communicating with people?

I'm sleeping well and still have an appetite. I physically feel fine. I usually walk 45 minutes to work rather than take the train. My relationship is OK, too. We work different schedules, so we don't have a lot of time together. But we're fine when we are.

Motivation for anything new is gone. It's not hurting my daily life. I pay bills, go grocery shopping, etc. Hell, I even like doing that stuff. I think, "grocery shopping! Hey, maybe there's something there."

Communication is the same. I don't feel like talking to anyone new, but I'm fine with the people I'm already acquainted with.

Man, we all have issues. I don't think you are just bored and there's no caste system here so you aren't considered an untouchable and not in need of assistance or deserving of it.

If that makes sense. Hope so. Oh well.

Luna.

Yup. Thank you.

Hey, merrit, you're not the only one out there. I also have "no reason" to be depressed. (Nice hubby, decent house, enough money to get by, a dog who thinks I'm the tops). But a few years ago I had all the classic symptoms of depression.

I agree with Luna that your lack of interest in your usual activities is a symptom of depression. You don't have to be crying hysterically or lying in bed comatose to be depressed. Losing interest in reading the books you usually enjoy is typical. If your job used to be satisfying and it isn't any more, that could also be an indicator.

One way to figure all this out would be to see a therapist. You don't have to commit to long-term analysis, but there could be issues in your life that you are not aware of, that are affecting your state of mind. Also, a therapist can help you decide if you are a candidate for chemical enlightenment. (aka antidepressants. heh)

What you are calling boredom sure sounds like depression to me. You could have some chemical change going on in your brain, or it could be situational and you're not aware of it, or it can be caused by other factors. You don't mention your age or physical health, but there are people with depression caused by the other medications they take.

Keep reading here at Crazyboards, but consider talking to a medical professional about this. It's fine to start with your GP, if s/he is someone you trust. Otherwise, I would consider consulting a therapist. Don't spend your life being bored---there is so much to do out there that is fun and creative and exciting.

olga

Let's see, no motivation to do pointless stuff that's all boring and you're so numb to all of it you hope a "Grow the Fuck UP!" reply might spark just enough anger, well irritation maybe, any bids for even a mild feeling of pique?, to move a little forward... Outside, your life's on the usual track, normalsville, nothing to make you have a reason to feel bad. Come to think of it, a little straight up misery would beat this grinding gray nowhere feeling of nothing.

If that's uncomfortably close to the mark, first have your GP order some bloodwork to rule out any endocrine problems. If that comes back normal, get a psychiatric referral, before the therapist.

Keep reading here at Crazyboards, but consider talking to a medical professional about this. It's fine to start with your GP, if s/he is someone you trust. Otherwise, I would consider consulting a therapist. Don't spend your life being bored---there is so much to do out there that is fun and creative and exciting.

Thank you for the advice. Therapy is an option I should keep in mind.

If that's uncomfortably close to the mark, first have your GP order some bloodwork to rule out any endocrine problems. If that comes back normal, get a psychiatric referral, before the therapist.

Actually, I think that's comfortably far from the mark. I'm not looking for negative stimulator. My remark was more tongue-in-cheek of someone with a more serious issue reading this. Thank you for the theory, though.

You sound anhedonic, but you haven't given much information which would indicate depression. Why don't you take a depression screen test. There's on available at http://www.sanityscore.com/ It evaluates for other things too, but you can ignore them if you want.

Either way, talk to your family doc and see what he/she says. They may not recommend medication, but they can probably offer you suggestions.

I'm another one with no reason to be depressed, well no reason in my life anyway. I'm happily married, have great kids, job, volunteer opportunities, great friends and family, no financial problems, beautiful house blah blah blah.....

I seem from the outside like a 100% fully functioning human being, and no one would know what's going on inside. But I do have serious problems with anxiety and depression.

As someone else suggested the first thing I would do is to get a full exam with a GP or internist to rule out any health problems. You can also talk to him/her about your situation and see if you can get a referral to a psychiatrist. Meds might help, or meds + therapy, or just therapy if there is no physical illness.

You deserve to be happy and motivated and to enjoy life. And keep in mind that no matter what your problem is, someone has a worse problem. But that doesn't diminish from yours and you deserve respect and compassion for your issues.

I just saw a show on depression where a very high powered corporate go-getter's depression caught up with him. He pretended through it for many years, and then just broke down. Upon announcing he had to take time off of work to take care of mental issues, the entire company stock dropped 10%, adding to his grief.

People who have "everything to live for," and "nothing wrong in their lives" are in no way immune from depression. It can come and take over your life at any point, but usually gives you months and years of warning -- which are promptly ignored and explained away, or *disbelieved* (why in the world would *I* be depressed??).

What struck me was how you lost interest in things like books, music and movies, and your statement about life losing its magic. This can happen when your neurochems (modern theory = seretonin & norepenephrin, as well as endorphins) malfunction, causing an immediate loss of pleasure and lowness of mood. Basically, your brain loses the ability to feel good. No matter what you do, no matter what advice people give you, you can't seem to achieve happiness. Watch for another major factor of this: "dulling" of senses. If colors, sounds, taste and touch seem to have no "flavor" (read: do not evoke any emotional response) you probably have clinical depression (read: malfunction of neurochems).

Last note: it's very difficult to tell from "inside" whether or not this is happening. It is a lot easier for an observer to detect depression, since a person will believe his experiences are "normal" until total breakdown, as in my corporate example above.

P.S. See my bipolar mood index to get an idea of what happens as depression worsens:

http://www.cosmicdust.org/colorindex/depre...rcolorindex.htm

• 6 months later...
Guest who cares

I cant help but think sometimes that if this is all that life has to offer then whats the point.Im tired of being a worker bee. i get up go to work come home eat sleep.then i do this agian day after day.I cant help but feel like im just a cog in this machine called life.I want to be something special something important but i dont know how to be.I have tried everything i can think of and nothing gives me that feeling

Archived