CrazyBoards.org

cymbalta, should i give it a whirl?

;) last year i took myself off all my psych meds. now i am considering asking my pdoc about cymbalta. my reasons for considering it as a possible help right now are:

in the past i have responded well to nortriptiline.

i have been diagnosed with fibromialgia.

i have this crazy nerve pain/itching in my arms.

right now i am suffering from a reactive depression in response to the death of my dog.

i have a pretty stiff upper lip when it comes to suffering--but unnessesary suffering is not my thing.

Yep, I did well on it, and it made me sleepy at night--so maybe that would help your insomnia. It can take 8 weeks to become fully effective, so be prepared to be patient.

olga

ask your pDoc about withdrawal FROM cymbalta should it not work for you. be sure your pDoc will be supportive (rx for relief from w/d symptoms) and read up on the withdrawal on this board and other sources. it can be an effective medication but VERY had to discontinue.

• 2 weeks later...

What did you come off of last summer? It's no worse that Effexor.

If you come off it all at once there's a good chance you'll be hurting but there are other options. The best way to come off it is by slowly tapering off and then switching to an SSRI and then quiting that. I got off it with a few weeks worth of Lexapro samples. Only a couple days were bad and I drank through those (I'm bad.)

i slowly tapered off 200mg of zoloft. after that i tapered off trazedone and then seroquel. it took about 6 weeks. i don't drink or smoke weed or any other thing that could dull the discomfort. i was also still in the throes of menopause. it was a real low point that just kept going on and on. i feel like i am on a see-saw ----one side is how miserable i felt then compared to how miserable i am now. so far it is still tipped slightly towards that horrendous summer. so, for now i am doing nothing medically for my depression.

i'm a little worried you're waiting for it to get THAT bad before trying meds again. not that i want you to have to take these horrid things. but still. saying "it's not as bad as when i was hospitalized" isn't really the greatest comparison, you know? how about "am i more miserable than is reasonable for someone in my shoes"? or "is there stuff i can't do because i am too depressed/anxious"? that can be therapy stuff too, i know you know that. but at the same time, waiting for what might be a big crash doesn't seem the way to go (at least not to me anyway... i am allergic to the backslide now and am permanently paranoid about going back there). so i'm a little bent towards the preventative end too. what does your doc say?

(and don't listen to my opinions about anything related to effexor like cymbalta or pristiq.... i am a rare freak of side effects on that stuff and will curse it until i die heh)

If you've responded well to nortriptyline in the past, why not go back to it?

And keep in mind that withdrawal from one med doesn't predict much about the next one. I had a horrible Effexor withdrawal experience, but coming off Cymbalta was barely noticeable.

Archived