CrazyBoards.org

Racing thoughts

I started having this problem about five or six years ago. It would often occur when I was sitting quietly reading, which I did often since I was a graduate student in English literature at that time. Now it sometimes happens when I'm reading or sitting at my computer. Perhaps intensely concentrating on something is the trigger.

Anyway, at first I simply feel dizzy. Then the words I'm looking at will start to vibrate and jump from the dizziness. After that they start to scream inside my head and seem to be moving rapidly back and forth. I shut my eyes tight but the screaming words continue. Then every thought screams in my head and seems to move at incredible speed. There's nothing I can do but wait for it to go away.

Thankfully, this doesn't happen very often, but I really hate it when it does.

I was wondering what racing thoughts were like for different people. So please describe them for me so I can better understand, Thanks for any input.

I really only have racing thoughts when I'm in the middle of a manic episode. It's one of the last symptoms to appear.

When I'm manic, my thoughts speed up, but not as much as you might think. I don't generally have more than one thought at a time either. My thoughts just become incessant. From the moment I open my eyes until the moment I fall asleep, my mind is filled with constant chatter. There is not a single moment during the day where my mind is silent. I can't stop it either.

I like to compare it to wikipedia. I begin to think about something, and then I link to something else. The individual thoughts are brief and usually unproductive.

Here's an example of how I would think:

God it's a wonderful day. You know, it'd be cool if I could control the weather. I'm sure that's impossible, but I still wonder if someone could make a device to do it. I think that was done in a movie once. Movies are awesome. They're so much better than CDs. Everyone should boycott CDs. It's crap that a movie costs 1,000,000 times more money to produce and yet it sells for the same amount of money. Stupid CD companies. I wonder if I could start a boycott. I could start a big e-mail chain. Nevermind, those don't work, and I hate SPAM anyway. Ugh, speaking of spam, how the hell do people eat SPAM burgers anyway? Maybe it's a marketing thing. SPAM burger just sounds cool. I'd take a butter burger over a SPAM burger any day. Culvers rocks. Not as much as McDonalds, but it's up there. Oooo, that's a cool looking car over there. I need a new car. Maybe I should get a truck though. Ah, better yet....a convertible. Then I could put the top down in the summer. Today's a nice day; it'd be a perfect day to ride in a convertible. God, it's a wonderful day. We need more days like today. If only it would stay. If I was religious, I'd pray for this day to stay.

As weird as this sounds, I even think in my sleep. When I have racing thoughts, I don't actually fall asleep. I drift somewhere between conscious and unconscious. I hear my constant thoughts as well as people around me. I can recall their conversations and my thoughts even though I'm definitely asleep. When I get up, my body feels as if I've sleep for 10 hours and I tend to drool on myself.

I was wondering what racing thoughts were like for different people. So please describe them for me so I can better understand, Thanks for any input.

I really only have racing thoughts when I'm in the middle of a manic episode. It's one of the last symptoms to appear.

I experience RT's similarly with Reborn. Im BPII so I never go totally manic, but I only have racing thoughts in mixed states or hypomania, usually at the crest of the hypomania. I do get simultaneous thoughts however and they create a disturbing dissonance that makes my head physically feel like it'll explode although that's more rare. I haven't experienced that doubling up effect since I've been on my current meds, thankfully.

Basically, when the RT's are full blown, they're a pain in the ass rather than a brainstorming asset.

;)

I like to compare it to wikipedia. I begin to think about something, and then I link to something else. The individual thoughts are brief and usually unproductive.

Sometimes this is how I am "normally" Luckily not as much anymore!

I would describe my racing thoughts as 10,000 conversations/ideas/thoughts going on in my head at once, but they're all muffled or whispers, so I can't make out a single clear thought. I can't concentrate. I want to do bad things to myself to make it go away. It's very stressful.

Also, this is not to be confused with actually hearing voices, these are just like viciously speeding, mumbled, jumbled, whispered thoughts that I can't pick out.

I would describe my racing thoughts as 10,000 conversations/ideas/thoughts going on in my head at once, but they're all muffled or whispers, so I can't make out a single clear thought. I can't concentrate. I want to do bad things to myself to make it go away. It's very stressful.

Also, this is not to be confused with actually hearing voices, these are just like viciously speeding, mumbled, jumbled, whispered thoughts that I can't pick out.

this, as well as Gwen's description, are what they're like for me. it took a long time for me to find a name for that. the scariest part is not being able to pick out one single sentence, so that you even know what your brain might be freaking over!

this comes from extreme anxiety for me, i don't get manic, but maybe it doesn't really matter why.

Archived