CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone...it's been a while. I am doing something that is really bothering me. I imagine/daydream that the most awful things are happening....(like my dog just got shot, or a close friend has died tragically.) These aren't true things...but they seem to be while I'm thinking about them. It's almost like I want to get upset...and I hate being upset! I have to remind myself that these things aren't true....but by that point I'm sobbing. sigh

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas....

Thanks

hi pacanuck,

i don't know if it works the same for everybody but for me it is a direct result of depression. when i am not depressed, i do not have these thoughts/daydreams at ALL. right now i'm depressed as hell. all day long i get these ideas like you just described. totally untrue situations but in the heat of the "daydream" it is just as much hell as if it were real. and yeah then you have to spend all day talking back to that saying "that isn't happening that's ridiculous", only to have the next one hit you about a completely different horrible situation. is that what it's like for you?

it's almost like when i'm depressed, my brain needs to continue to give me reasons to be upset - whether they be real reasons or made up ones doesn't matter. the more work i've done on resolving real issues, the more my brain has to give me impossible situations to cry about/be terrified of, because there are fewer ways to "get at me" in that sense (like if i have done self-esteem work, it's harder for my brain to put me in imaginary or past situations where i am being humiliated etc.).

i don't know if it gets worse/better for you when depressed, but maybe?

also sleep (or lack of) makes this worse for me, like dreaming during the day instead of when i'm supposed to. are you sleeping okay?

i'm interested in why this happens to other people too. sorry you go through it too ;)

Thanks for your input...yes...you described it very well. I also, like you, think it's linked to depression. Boy is it a downer! It happens a lot for me when I'm trying to go to sleep....trying to slow my mind down enough to actually fall asleep. I go through times where I don't sleep...even though I take Ambien. Thanks for asking, btw.

I'm sorry you do this too. It sucks.

Thanks for helping me feel so not alone

I do this when I'm depressed, too! Yeesh, it sucks.

I think I do it because I need to release emotions. When I think of bad stuff, I cry. I cry, and then I temporarily feel better. That's just me, though.

Archived