CrazyBoards.org

Guest bigred01

I was wondering if anyone here heard voices? I hear whispering or mumbling sometimes and was wondering if this was some other people heard.

I was wondering if anyone here heard voices? I hear whispering or mumbling sometimes and was wondering if this was some other people heard.

There's actually a number of situations for people to start hearing or noticing voices. Do you hear them more when you are very tired, or as part of some other noise source, or just kind of all the time (maybe more right before mania sets in)?

Since I was very young...early teens, I have heard a radio. I occurs ususally at night when I am trying to sleep. I used to think it was from listening to music most of the day. It's worse when I am manic. Actually it's bad when I am in any severe state. It's loud at times. It's worse if there is a fan on or any white noise. I hear people talking..music, etc. No the voices don't tell me to do things!! I have read on other sites that it is an audio hallucination. Part of the bipolar thing.

I would say I hear them more when I have lost sleep.

Yep. It's not too uncommon - bipolars (see below, and I think AM's mentioned it) and ADDers (myself, others) usually get that from sleep deprivation (stress too?) It may be a combination of the brain's need to impose order on random input (like fan/motor noise) and the fact that you're really not as awake as you're dreaming you are.

That's nothing compared to what the schizophrenic/schizoaffective folks have to put up with. Then again, their internal radio doesn't usually get stuck rerunning really bad 70s music.

Guest lostinthoughtandjaded

I hear what I call "noise"...

When I'm manic, it's kinda like walking through a mall food court on a really busy day and trying to keep track of all the different reasons you're there... as in, it's hard not to get pulled in by the various sounds and conversations floating around you- but as opposed to a single voice, it's more like a wallah-wallah background sound...

However, in certain headspaces, I feel like there is an actual conversation going on in my head, between people I may or may not have heard before... like, if I'm really tired in the shower, and my mind starts to wander, some grandpa and his kid might have some weird conversation about something (just an example), and it's weird, cause I can tune right into it and listen, without feeling like I am controlling it... like a tv show is on in the background or something...

I just chalk it up to my extra-super audio memory (other people have much better visual memory, for example...) although I'd be nervous if the conversations began to address me...

But, I was also the kid that could recite the last 20 minutes of a tv show word-for-word as soon as the commercials came on.......

• 8 months later...

since i was the age of 13 i have heard voices of a little girl and as i gotten older more voices have join her up to date there are 7 voices i here some good some bad some want to hurt me others are scared and in pain and hiding i have been getting alot of couselloring and was told it from all the traumra in my life that the voices were form i was wondering will the voices ever stop usually hear these voices very strong when corner or stressed or when it too quiet or over tired i'm also scared that the voices want to take over at times and i feel a lost of control over my body i have found my self in water alot which i can't swim and strange places i don't recall getting too if anyone is feeling the same and can give me a little bit of hope it will help alot

girlinme, this sounds more like dissassociation from abuse. you may want to post on the dissassociation forum. i say this because you mention not remembering how you got somewhere. i think you may get some good answers over there.

it does get better. it's very good that you are seeing a professional (at least, i hope you are at the moment). are you seeing a psychiatrist or a psychologist or both?

I would say I hear them more when I have lost sleep.

Yep. It's not too uncommon - bipolars (see below, and I think AM's mentioned it) and ADDers (myself, others) usually get that from sleep deprivation (stress too?) It may be a combination of the brain's need to impose order on random input (like fan/motor noise) and the fact that you're really not as awake as you're dreaming you are.

That's nothing compared to what the schizophrenic/schizoaffective folks have to put up with. Then again, their internal radio doesn't usually get stuck rerunning really bad 70s music.

Apparently, a rather large percentage of healthy people hear voices too - but they're good voices. I read this news article about it recently, but it's in my native tongue... Will see if I can find a reliable news source in english...

There we go - this one's from the BBC.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_elizabeth_*

girlinme, this sounds more like dissassociation from abuse. you may want to post on the dissassociation forum. i say this because you mention not remembering how you got somewhere. i think you may get some good answers over there.

it does get better. it's very good that you are seeing a professional (at least, i hope you are at the moment). are you seeing a psychiatrist or a psychologist or both?

i see both of them for help thanks i will try the other forum and see what help i get there thanks again

Apparently, a rather large percentage of healthy people hear voices too - but they're good voices. I read this news article about it recently, but it's in my native tongue... Will see if I can find a reliable news source in english...

There we go - [link=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/963545.stm" target="_blank]this one[/link]'s from the BBC.

This article does not sound like it's talking about what most competent psychiatrists would consider psychiatric problems. People hear and see loved ones during bereavement. Most people will hear their name called at least once in their lives. A lot of people hear dialogue within their heads. Same thing for music. Many will hear or see hallucinations in the twilight between waking and sleeping. As far as I know, none of these are considered psychosis. There also are other neurological conditions that cause audio hallucinations, seizures being one. Most psychiatrists rule all other potential causes out before they conclude it is psychiatric. Even if it is psychiatric, audio hallucinations are outside of one's head. Voices would be heard as if another person is talking/whispering in the room or outside of it. Voices heard within your head can be psychiatric, but the experience usually is not psychosis.

I hear voices sometimes when I'm stressed, mostly I think that's why, not sure if that's been every time. I hear them when I'm up and most definitely awake, and sometimes when I'm trying to sleep (and then I get too scared to sleep until the seroquel kicks in).

I can never hear what they're saying, sometimes they're quiet and sometimes they're loud and shouting, so loud, and angry, but I still can't make out what it is they're saying.

I haven't had them for awhile, which is nice. They scare me. I always think I don't know what I would do if I couldn't stop them, but if I up my med or talk to my psychopharmacologist then he can help.

....I don't know if that's normal for a bipolar I or not....I'm not sure I'm always having a mood episode, or if I'm just sub-stable, or if I am schitzoaffective, which they want to rule out, not that I see a psychiatrist regularly for anything, but I guess they've noted it as a possible.

Archived