CrazyBoards.org

I've been so emotionally detached lately. Lately being the past few years probably. All my feelings have turned into thoughts. It's like I'm thinking what I'm feeling and not really feeling it. Although I know I have feelings.

This is gibberish, I know.

It has really severe consequences. I feel (there we go) unreal and the world feels unreal to me, because things don't seem to have an impact on me at all. I'm touched by very few things these days. And since the impact of things only exists as thoughts in my head, I might as well have made it all up. And I can't seem to get outta my head at all, can't stop thinking for even a second and just be.

I do feel really sad sometimes. Or intense fear. And I wouldn't miss those times for anything, because at least I'm there and I feel something.

Most of the time I'm just so detached from everything. How are you supposed to be motivated for doing anything if you don't feel anything about it?

Being with other people is the only way I get some kind of relief, some sense of being in the world. But I still have problems responding to other people's emotions - all I can do is talk about practical stuff, thought-stuff. I'm sure this comes through in my posts too.

I used to know how to feel, goddammit.

I know a lot of you probably knows how this is, is there any way out? I don't want to float around here all by myself.

• 4 months later...

I have emotional detachment due to Prozac. I can't get excited about other people's emotions. If I see people feeling sad or depressed, I feel nothing. My father died this August and I felt nothing. I have retreated from emotions into the world of the mind.

blackbird x

Great description! I feel this way too. Prozac is part of my cocktail and I feel a little better since reducing it but I still feel too detached, too numb, just going through the motions in life.

What are your medications? (only if you don't mind)

Thanks for the topic.

Sincerely,

Sunshine Outside

I don't mind, although this is a rather old topic - I'm on Abilify but I don't remember if I was on it back when I wrote this. I might have been unmedicated at the time. They tell me flat affect is part of the diagnosis and I don't think it has anything to do with the med in my case.

@ Papertrees: Usually it's just flat affect, but I think sometimes it leads to depersonalization for me, particularly at the time when I wrote this.

It's strange, recently I've been told I can look really happy or touched by things etc., I just can't feel it myself. Weird, huh?

I don't mind, although this is a rather old topic - I'm on Abilify but I don't remember if I was on it back when I wrote this. I might have been unmedicated at the time. They tell me flat affect is part of the diagnosis and I don't think it has anything to do with the med in my case.

@ Papertrees: Usually it's just flat affect, but I think sometimes it leads to depersonalization for me, particularly at the time when I wrote this.

It's strange, recently I've been told I can look really happy or touched by things etc., I just can't feel it myself. Weird, huh?

Weird maybe, but I have it too. I wonder if it has had anything to do with my two courses of ECT. They said I had two convulsions when I was only supposed to have one. (one time)

I don't know, but I don't like it!

I know a lot of you probably knows how this is, is there any way out? I don't want to float around here all by myself.

i believe what you are doing is unconcionsly disassociating with what is around you. i do this ALL the time. do you often forget things that just happened? if you do that's a big warning flag for disassociating. i'm constantly at a loss of what just happened. which is really bad when you consider that i actually get behind the wheel of a car and drive myself places ;)

i'm not sure that i know the way out of these issues but i think the first step is to allow yourself to become part of the moment. and what i mean by that is to use all of your senses, sights, sounds, smells, etc. know that you are in this moment and observe everything around you. i think by doing that, in time, you will start to feel as if you are a part of the moment as well. but start with small things, like the beauty of a flower, see it, touch it, smell it, react to it, embrace it and feel it. let your emotions overcome you with all of your senses.

i think the main thing is just retraining yourself to be present in the moment rather than "off into space" as i often get.

i'm not sure that this helped or answered your question but i tried. i'm still working on this issue myself. :)

best of luck!

People tell me I'm a robot. I can't react to things. That's the way they describe me- a robot. I wasn't like this before the meds, or before the diagnoses.

My old best friend used to call me that, too- a robot. He called me that even before I was on meds.

I feel detachment 99% of the time, and I absolutely hate it. You're not alone, believe me.

Archived