CrazyBoards.org

Generic vs Name brand Parnate

I know there aren't many people who take Parnate, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a difference in the name brand and the generic. I used to do quite well on the name brand, but over the past few years, I've been going downhill. I looked back and realized my decline started when the generic became available. I took 60 mg of the brand name but now I need 80 mg of the generic and I still feel like shit.

The insurance companies swear the generic meds are as good as the name brands, but I call bullshit. I've heard many stories from folks about all kinds of generic meds that don't work as well as the name brand did; however, the insurance companies just refuse to pay for them.

Anyone have experience with this med or other meds where the generic just doesn't measure up to the original?

I know there aren't many people who take Parnate, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a difference in the name brand and the generic. I used to do quite well on the name brand, but over the past few years, I've been going downhill. I looked back and realized my decline started when the generic became available. I took 60 mg of the brand name but now I need 80 mg of the generic and I still feel like shit.

The insurance companies swear the generic meds are as good as the name brands, but I call bullshit. I've heard many stories from folks about all kinds of generic meds that don't work as well as the name brand did; however, the insurance companies just refuse to pay for them.

Anyone have experience with this med or other meds where the generic just doesn't measure up to the original?

Yes, it is bullshit. In order for a generic med to be approved by the FDA, it has to +/- 20% bioequivalence of the original, patented medication. While this is certainly in the ballpark and is usually fine for most patients, in some cases it can cause problems. If you are noticing a difference, it is worth investigating because it might not be in your head.

I've heard about problems with generic Parnate. I had problems with generic immediate release venlafaxine and switching to the name brand solved most of them. My pdoc said that some of his other patients have experienced this with a couple of the SSRIs that have gone generic, but most are generally fine.

I ordered the name brand Parnate this time and will get it Tuesday. I have to pay for it, but I am interested to see if I've just built up a tolerance or if I will see a difference. I did some research and found others who have problems with the generic version too, so it may be one that just isn't quite the same. Time will tell.

Archived