CrazyBoards.org

BiPolar I and Adderall

I've been reading a lot of different posts on here but I still have a question about BiPolar I and Addereall. I've been on everything out there. I'm very medication sensitive/resistant. I went to my Pdoc yesterday and he decided to put me on Adderall. I've NEVER been prescribed a stimulant before. I know we are all different when it comes to meds. I'm just a bit concerned because I've been in one of the worst hypomanic states! I'm wondering if Adderall has the potential to push me down further? I've only taken 2.5 mg. for the past two days. I know this is a very insignificant dose, but I have to start REALLY small in case I have an adverse reaction. I'm hoping to increase the dose a little today. I don't have anyone around me that can really keep an eye on my mood(I tend to be the last to know...or acknowledge where I am). I guess my question is; has anyone had stimulants increase there mania?

Sage,

Adderol is speed, pure and simple. If your doctor gave this to you, and you go completely manic on it and do something bad to yourself or someone else, or commit a criminal act while manic, you have a great case for a lawsuit.

Your pdoc should lose his license for this!

I would suggest you go off it right now, but if your really want to give it a chance, as soon as you start to feel mania coming on just stop!

I am bipolar, and am 47 years old. Was diagnosed at 17, back when they called it more accurately Manic/Depression.That's 30 years of experience with this dibilitating illness, and not once have I ever heard of a doc giving speed to a bipolar.

Good luck and I will say a prayer for you.

~ Denise

ummm. I know that stims and bipolar dont generally mix, but I know of a former member (loon) was bipolar and also on stims. I dont know that I could say that that made her life anymore functional, but she was rx'd adderal I believe. I think she may have been on mood stablizer also.

I personally have been denied flatout treatment for my add because of my BP dx.

Just because you were dx'd 40 years ago and have never heard of a pdoc rx stims wth ppl with BP doesn't mean its never been done. And yes it is speed, but makes a huge difference for those of us who have add/ADHD. Until you have to live with an untreated MI that you can't get treated for it isn't in your best interest to judge other peoples MI or their treatment rx by an M.D.

Hi,

im surprised your pdoc didnt explain this decision more throughly with you. if you dont know why - call and demand an answer.

in a far away land years ago i was rx'd provigil. took the first dose and spent one night shaking and rocking uncontrollably. called pdoc in the morning and no more provigil.

db

I was assuming the OP. Has add/adhd. If they do not then I fully support your original post. That pdoc should not be dispensing adderal for shits and giggles.

And DB has an ecellent point. As a pt. You have every right to be informed as to your med treatment.

I've never been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. BiPolar, Panic Disorder, PTSD, yes...but not ADD. I think my PDoc was at a loss as to what to do since we've tried everything. My depression has been really severe. he said that Adderall has been show to help with depression. I have to say I took the Adderall yesterday and it was one of the better days I've had in a LONG time. I definitely felt calmer and my mind was not beating the crap out of me all day. It was a great relief after months of being in a terrible place.

I really wish I had kept drug journals all these years! It might shed some light on why I can tolerate the Adderall but not so many of the others.

Thanks for all your input. I think I'll take it one day at a time and see what happens until my next med check.

I've been reading a lot of different posts on here but I still have a question about BiPolar I and Addereall. I've been on everything out there. I'm very medication sensitive/resistant. I went to my Pdoc yesterday and he decided to put me on Adderall. I've NEVER been prescribed a stimulant before. I know we are all different when it comes to meds. I'm just a bit concerned because I've been in one of the worst hypomanic states! I'm wondering if Adderall has the potential to push me down further? I've only taken 2.5 mg. for the past two days. I know this is a very insignificant dose, but I have to start REALLY small in case I have an adverse reaction. I'm hoping to increase the dose a little today. I don't have anyone around me that can really keep an eye on my mood(I tend to be the last to know...or acknowledge where I am). I guess my question is; has anyone had stimulants increase there mania?

interestingly enough, i was just at my pdoc today. i have been having some manic symptoms....a lot of impulse control. he said that the adderall might not be helping with my mania. so he reduced my dosage and pushed up the abilify. so, apparently, adderall and bipolar doesn't seem to mix too well.

why are you on adderall?

Sage,

Adderol is speed, pure and simple. If your doctor gave this to you, and you go completely manic on it and do something bad to yourself or someone else, or commit a criminal act while manic, you have a great case for a lawsuit.

Your pdoc should lose his license for this!

Hi, before you go off the deepend, know what you are talking about mmkay?

I'm BPI and until recently was on Concerta for YEARS without it having effects on my moodstate. Now I have switched over to Vyvanse and so far same thing, no wild shooting into mania like a fucking nutjob.

Yes, it can have the potential to send you up, but that doesn't mean it has to. Every one is different. And generally the more you need a stimulant, the less likely you are to have a manic reaction from one. [THough, like I said, it can happen.] It really REALLY depends on the person and their situation.

Umm, listen folks you need to be a bit more judicious and thoughtful before wholesale condemming a drug, predicting moonhowling mania and threatening lawsuits!!

-Bipolars CAN take Adderall and other stimulants.

-Adderall does have other uses, in this case for depression.

-No, this isn't defacto a case of malpractice, and no, she won't have a law case if she does go manic.

The common wisdom is the bipolars should be stable and on some sort of mood stabilizer before adding stims or AD's. Stims have been used back to at least the 40's for depression. Not terribly effective for the majority, but the thinking is that they may help jolt loose those who are in deep depression. We have had several member on this regime.

I was on Adderall last year for my concentration ADHD/ADD and didn't go ape crazy, though it tends to wreck my sleep. Even coffee and colas do that to me.

This all sounds reasonable. There is no 'race' to increase med dosages. Starting low and getting used to it is emminently reasonable. It sounds like your pdoc is familiar with your history and is keeping a close eye on you. If you have problems give him a call.

best, A.m.

I guess I did go overboard, but I said I was sorry. My depression is debilitating right now, all I can do is cry all day long. I was on SSRI's for ten years and finally Cymbalta for a year or so. Then I went manic and rapid cycling, and tried to commit suicide. So they took me off Cymbalta and now I'm trying other things. Pristiq (Effexor in disguise, lol) seemed to be working but then I got rapid heartbeats and insomnia, so had to go off it.

Now I'm on Wellbutrin and it's not helping at all. I'm on Lamactil, also no help at all and it's been six weeks on that.

They say Wellbutrin takes several weeks to work! Anyone know anything about Wellbutrin?

Maybe I should ask for Adderol, I truly didn't know that bipolars could take it!

I need something NOW, just can't stop crying all day, can't do anything, can't even walk my dog.

again, I'm sorry ;)

They say Wellbutrin takes several weeks to work! Anyone know anything about Wellbutrin?

For most people it can take weeks, for some people only a stimulant starts working faster. (The catch is that it's usually the *same* people)

Maybe I should ask for Adderall, I truly didn't know that bipolars could take it!

It's usually bipolars with ADD/ADHD that can handle stims fairly well (preferably at a lower dose, just in case.) but I could understand it being tried when nothing else is working for treatment-resistant depression.

The good thing about trying a traditional stimulant like amphetamine is that it has a short half-life. If you get pushed into hypomania you can just not take it and feel a bit better the next day (can't get that with Prozac) That's a bad thing with depression - depression is 24/7/365 and an antidepressant that wears off in 6 hours just sucks.

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for all the feedback and chatter. My computer crashed and I've been trying to fix it.. All I can say is I am VERY thankful for the Adderall right now. I've been in a horrible place for months, not able to take anything, and finally I have something that I can take. The adderall might not be the perfect solution, but for now it is offering me some great relief! Not to mention, great concentration to work on my computer. AND! I'm calm...it's almost weird how quiet my brain is.....deafening silence sometimes. Very bizarre for me.

Everyones feedback is greatly appreciated, and again, thanks I really needed all of you ;)

Since I don't think anyone has mentioned it, that's a tiny tiny dose. When I was on it I took 20mgs 3x a day.

dosing instructions from rxlist

Not recommended for children under 3 years of age. In children from 3 to 5 years of age, start with 2.5 mg daily; daily dosage may be raised in increments of 2.5 mg at weekly intervals until optimal response is obtained.

In children 6 years of age and older, start with 5 mg once or twice daily; daily dosage may be raised in increments of 5 mg at weekly intervals until optimal response is obtained. Only in rare cases will it be necessary to exceed a total of 40 mg per day. Give first dose on awakening; additional doses (1 or 2) at intervals of 4 to 6 hours.

Yeah, very small dose because I'm so sensitive to meds. It's terrible! It's one of the main reasons I have been on/off so many meds. Today I could only tolerate 2.5 mg. I'm hoping to get the dose up to an optimal dosage for me. I can tell it's help a bit with my depression. Thanks for the info!

glad it seems to be helping (I know what you mean about the 'deafening' silence thing, it's weird, but such a relief.)

I'm another case of adderall being rxed 'off-label' (as in, not for ADHD) but ADD is on my official dx list mostly because of insurance and a hunch. for me, it was the treatment resistant depression thing-- I was on wellbutrin and zoloft and still sinking so it was in an effort to help me function day to day, get out of bed, have the energy and headspace (ie: the quiet brain thing you're talking about) to get things done, etc. and it is very helpful for me as well. as for what VE said- yep, you're on a really low dose, but if it ain't broke... ya know. I need at lease 20mg to tell any difference but keep in mind that I've never been manic so that wasn't a concern for me when figuring out dosages (the quack pdoc started me on 10mg anyway). am rambling, but what I'm trying to say is that you're being really smart by keeping your dosage low if it's helping you, CNS stims can often create a tolerance that requires the dosage to be raised a bit over time, so starting low is great for a number of reasons.

luck, keep us in the loop,

meg

ps- start keeping that journal *now* you know? I cannot tell you how incredibly helpful and instrumental my journals have been in figuring out my depression/meds...it's really hard to remember exactly how you were feeling when, and how different lifestyle changes and meds affected you, especially when your mood has such drastic variables and you're on the med-go-round. there's no need to have it be specifically a medication log, for me it's a lot easier to just to blahblahblah and let my hand write whatever I'm thinking at the time-- sometimes stream-of-thought writing can be a lot more telling than well thought out paragraphs. splurge on a nice little moleskin notebook from B&N or something and just keep it on your nightstand or desk (mine lives in my purse so I can just pull it out and vent whenever)

had my sleep study last night and today so am exhausted, hope this all made sense!

i haven't been able to take it for the past day. i know i definitely won't be able to take it tomorrow. I have to fly tomorrow. anything and everything that can go wrong IS going wrong. i get very stressed when i have to leave the safety of my home. i called to see about getting something to help me with my anxiety but my pdoc is out of the office til monday. ;) lovely. just...really....lovely. me..a plane...and WAY 2 many other people!! ugh. when i think about taking the adderall i know it will settle my brain down...but i get a bit of an edgy feeling. i don't know. it's so frustrating. i don't want to be a headline in sundays paper. :)

anyway, i will keep you posted. i'm going to look for a cool notebook for that journaling! (thanks for the suggestion meg!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I just thought I'd give you an update. My last post was Jul 5th right before I left to go out of town. Well, I have to say the Adderall has been, literally, a life saver. It hasn't solved all my problems but it seems that it has yanked me out of that debilitating, horrible LOW I have been in for months! I'm almost convinced I'm ADD. Seriously, I have NO problem taking the Adderall and that's very unlike me. I take it some days and could lay down and take a nap. Other days I take it and it's like this physical focusing....like someones put blinders on me and what's in front of me is in full focus. Some days I do feel edgy...grumpy....but if i take a half a dose it usually smooths me out. I don't know. All I do know is, I'm glad something pulled me out of the low. It was horrible.

Archived