CrazyBoards.org

I keep hearing this voice inside my head, telling me I'm worthless, telling me to cut, to make it deep, to run, to jump off my building, to bury myself.

My question is: Am I just talking to myself or am I hearing voices? I'm not so sure! when I told my pdoc, she considered schizoaffective disorder for me, but I'm not so sure she's correct.

Some questions to consider:

1) Is the voice unfamiliar to you (e.g. it doesn't sound like your voice, it has a different accent or gender)

2) Do you hear it as if it were outside your head in the external world, or in your head?

3) Can you predict when it will come, or interrupt or stop it?

Guest Guest

Most of my voices seem to come from the person themselves. If I watch their lips it looks like a soundtrack that is off, eg, the voices seem to be superimposed over what they are actually saying.

I also have the common running commentary voices . I also have a type that seems to be what the person is thinking. That one is difficult for me as it does not fit a pattern. I always feel confused about them.

I can't answer that for you, but I think I experience sort of the same thing. It's like it's MY voice, but it's another side of my voice. I can't explain it. Either way, I end up arguing with my own two voices in my head. They're two different ideas, but they're both mine. And the bad side tells me to drive off the road, or to stab myself, or that I'm a worthless piece of shit.

And then the arguing in my head starts. It usually ends with the "regular me" voice screaming SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP at the bad one. ;)

You know, that makes me sound a lot battier when I put it in text. Meh.

I dunno. I didn't exactly see anyone put that, papertrees.

I have a friend that hears voices and she pretends that they are just from a TV in the other room. Or that they are just her misplaced thoughts having a temper tantrum like a two year old.....ignore them and eventually they'll subside for a while.

I don't know how well this works for her, but it at least works sometimes apparently. If she never would've told me this, I would never have guessed that she heard things to begin with.

Brains are weeeeird.

papertrees, This is how my voices started two years ago.

Now I have gotten to know a girl named Shirley, a voice inside my head, a little girl named Bella, and my previous voice Sarah, who i don't hear anymore.

I don't want to alarm you, but it's important you be honest with your doctors and try to explain it the best you can. Don't let them get as devoloped as I did.

As they turned into people, rather than random thoughts from nowhere, they were easier to deal with. I can say to them now go away now while i'm taking this test and i'll talk to you at 7, and you can say whatever you want then. Sometimes they do listen and go away, and come back later. Not always at the appointed time. Also I know what sorto f music they like and it might calm them for a while.

But anyway, i'm not saying that is what will happen to you, but it's a possibility.

Archived