CrazyBoards.org

Homosexual goes to Olympics

from Drugmonkey's blog:

The American Family Association obviously didn't foresee the problems that might arise with its strict policy to always replace the word "gay" with "homosexual" on the Web site of its Christian news outlet, OneNewsNow. The group's automated system for changing the forbidden word wound up publishing a story about a world-class sprinter named "Tyson Homosexual" who qualified this week for the Beijing Olympics.

yep....the software used by a group that's prejudiced against gays and lesbians fucked up and mangled the name of Tyson Gay, a world class athlete.

the full story is at the washingtonpost.com/sleuth (the writer's blog is titled The Sleuth) by Mary Ann Akers.

the commentary is available at Drugmonkey's blog. (highly recommended reading). drugmonkey@blogspot.com

i can't do links that well, sorry.

I wasn't aware that anyone, gay or straight alike, found the word "gay" to be offensive. Also, have they forgotten that "gay" has another (original) meaning?

"We'll have a do time,

A yabba do time,

We'll have a homosexual old time!!!!!"

Or perhaps...

"Have yourself a merry little Christmas,

Make the yule-tide homosexual."

Gwen,

I don't think it's that the AFA found 'gay' offensive. Just the opposite. They wanted to replace an 'inoffensive' euphemism with something stark and 'unforgiving'.

I'm not 'gay' (I'm depressed, how could I be gay? ;) ) and I really generally hate lawsuits. But I hate right wing christians more! So I hope the athlete files suit for defamation.

My post was meant to be somewhat facetious, so I agree with you. The word "homosexual" may be stark and unforgiving (and a bit clinical) but it's certainly not very offensive, imo. Changing the words like that is more stupid than anything else, which is why I posted those song lyrics. ;)

Archived