CrazyBoards.org

Is this as as effective way to stop it?

I believe that I stopped for me, not because I feared someone would do it too. I needed to learn better ways to cope with emotional pain, rather than get competitive with people.

It made me feel guilty about cutting, like there were bad implications for other people too. Now, I can't cut because I think bout him cutting too..

You're lucky you have someone that's willing to go to an extreme like that to help you. I can't think of anyone who would do something like that for me. I mean, people would definitely try to help me, but I can't see anyone resorting to extreme measures such as cutting themselves. Whatever you do, keep that in mind.

But what I'm worried about is your guilt... that's not good either. I didn't want to make a comment about places he won't see, but since you said that, it makes it less likely that you'll follow through with your promise to him, just being more secretive.

Guilt is just bad. Do you have a tdoc?

Thank you, Ophelia, for that wonderful post. I realized that I should stop cutting for myself, and for no one else. I guess I knew this from the beginning but I never had the courage to admit it to myself, nor did I have the willpower to want something for myself. I've been cutting since grade school (I'm in med school now) and I know what a tough battle it is. My significant other can't take it anymore, and we're in on the verge of breaking up because of it. Again, I want to stop SI because of him, and not because of myself. I know cutting is bad, but I can't pinpoint the psychological reasons why. It's terrible, I know, that I don't know why it's bad to cut. I know it causes psychological harm. But it calms me down, so it's my band-aid, if you can call it that.

I'm getting mixed up. I'm sorry.

It's terrible, I know, that I don't know why it's bad to cut. I know it causes psychological harm. But it calms me down, so it's my band-aid, if you can call it that.

You're not alone in that thinking, I guess that's why it's so hard for some people to stop. i have to admit, I think that way myself sometimes. okay, a lot of times. But it is NOT healthy, and you need to find better coping methods. So do I.

And Ophelia, your post *is* wonderful, why would anyone yell at you?

Archived