CrazyBoards.org

Hello people, i just had a question about meds. I was wandering if anyone knew or had experiened trying a med that they had tried before getting diagnosed with bp and didn't work and that when they were diagnosed with bp and tried it again and it worked. And i am going to have a med change, and i don't know what to do, i have tried alot of different ad. Alot of docs have told me that celexa is really good, but i tried it and it wasn't so good for me or anxiety. I have mentioned lexapro but she has said it the same. I think the only med i haven't tried is zoloft, but i am a little scared of it, seeing so many have had bad results. Also i don't know if i had asked this before, but i heard that what works for family members might work for me. And i also heard that once you reach a certain amount of time, then you won't have any different syptoms to treat. Don't know if that is true just what i heard.

don't officially have bp (or as much med trial experience as you) so take this with a nice big grain of sea-salt, but I imagine if you had tried an AD before being dxed and put on a mood stabilizer like lithium that it would be worth a shot to try one again now that you have other meds to try and balance the risks of ssri's for bp folks.

note I'm assuming the lithium came after the dx, I might be wrong in that?

I guess I'd try the closest thing to whatever has worked in the past and give it another shot-- lexapro does sound like a good idea to me, knowing it's decent rep when it comes to not worsening anxiety, but of course that's up to your pdoc.

certainly, there have been those here that have retried a med to have it work for them, I'm just not sure how often that people go for this approach in the first place.

about the family member thing-- this is true for some people, but make sure it's a family member who has similar symptoms to yourself (for instance, celexa works well for my mother, but she has anxiety and tends to be a more nervous depressive whereas I'm the kind that can't get out of bed or summon will or energy or feeling for anything-- therefore what works for her probably won't be the best for me)-- but yes, sometimes family members can be a helpful cue if there are some success stories,

I'm not sure if I understand your last question

And i also heard that once you reach a certain amount of time, then you won't have any different syptoms to treat.
symptoms certainly change and progress over time, so I don't think that this would apply to most people, you know? MI in general (and bp with the 'kindling' effect) is a very slippery sort of illness that is hard to pin down in one spot-- symptoms change with time, lifestyle, life changes, age, treatment, etc. so it doesn't make any sense to me that after a certain amount of time, your illness would be the same (if I'm understanding your question). this is one of the reasons that retrying a medication might just work, because MI symptoms change over time.

hth, hope you can make it through my babble!

m

thanks for your response meg, and yes the lithium came after the dx. And yes, my brother, my cousin, and my aunt are all on zoloft for anxiety/depression. My mother has BP and all she takes is lithium, i can not just take that. I think that i am the more anxious/nervous person. Yet i tend to be irritable/tired/withrawn too. Yes i agree about the symptoms changing, i heard that every 7 years your system changes. But what i meant was that she had said that usually if you don't hear and see things after a period of time then you probably won't in the future. That may or not be true i don't know.

I have what they call "SSRI exaustion" , so can't take 'em anymore. But as long as your on Lithium or other mood stabilizer, I'd give Zoloft a try. It worked great for my depression and anxiety both, and at that time I was on depakote for mania. As long as your on a mood stabilizer, why not give it a try??

Good luck! ;)

Archived