CrazyBoards.org

note to self: missing 3 days of meds

I can't even count the number of times that I've been late taking meds (from hours to almost two days) and subsequently felt like crap, making me vow to "be a good girl and take my meds from now on"--

just to do it the next week like an idiot.

but this time I went beyone idiocy and moved on to the realm of moron.

missed three days of wellbutrin/zoloft/lamictal in a row.

am a moron.

phone call woke me on the last ring and after mumbling through a conversation backing out of my 4th of july plans, I relized said moronicy. my mood was okay (as in not depressed and losing my mind) but I did feel like losing last night's dinner, and felt like losing my balance, and felt like losing consciousness. so tired and slow that it took me more than 15 minutes just to dig my pill case out of my purse (this all from bed), navigate pouring out friday's pills into my hand (after figuring out it was friday), not dropping them as I kept on almost falling asleep so having my hand go limp, managing to focus my eyes well enough to make sure there was some seltzer left in the bottle on my nightstand (thank god.), figuring out how to put down the pills on the bed so I could use both hands to secure the bottle while unscrewing the lid and keeping it upright (much.harder. than it should have been)....and so on and so forth....almost missing my mouth with the pills and half missing it with the seltzer but managing to swallow them all before collapsing, 110% spent, back into a horizontal heap under the covers.

after a rest, getting downstairs (on my bum. so as not to tumble) and down the hall to my father's office (bumping into walls and doors) was an adventure in itself. as was finding (and pronouncing) the words to let him know what was up before retreating to the floor next to my dog.

but I'll spare you the complete breakdown of my molasses morning.

the moron moral of the story: don't miss meds

(cue "duh!" from readers)

this might have officially scared me into submission, I have no doubt that if had missed another day that I'd certainly need a little scenic tour of the ER. anyone else have this happen (on purpose/unconsciously/not on purpose) or am I just more sensitive to withdrawl than most?

thanks for reading the pity(/scolding) party,

meg

ps- is now 5 hours after taking the pills and zzing more and am now just an exhausted, headachey and grumpy as hell, but 'fine' again. I obviously found my coordination and words a little better to be able to type my blahblahblahings here, thanks for muddling through!

Do you know why it happened? e.g., don't remember to take them; forget whether you've taken them already; meds not handy at right place/time; etc.

It was a combination of a few things--

- out of school and waiting to hear about a few jobs, so no 'schedule' to speak of

- am so tired all the time that I sleep waaay past when I like to take them in the morning and then say to myself 'oh, it's so late now, they'll keep me up, I'll just take them first thing tomorrow and get back on track'-- just to have the same problem the next day

- had a sleep study (overnight PSG and then the MSLT 'nap test' the next day) and it was too late to take them on the day of the overnight to not have them mess with my sleep, and then I couldn't take them the next morning because of the all day MSLT (15min nap, 2 hours awake, 15min nap, 2 hours..and so forth)..this was on top of missing them the day before the sleep study. so three days.

I've decided to try and keep a bottle of water next to my bed and my pill case and to have an alarm to wake me in the morning-- just long enough to take them and conk back out. none of this crap with sleeping too late, I'm going to try and make it habit just like when I have a job or am in school-- where I take it in the first hour of being up and keep the pill case in my purse at all times.

we'll see. that was a long-winded answer to a simple question, but I've kinda picked this apart so I don't do anything like it again, thanks for the concern! let me know if you have any tips

m

hi meg,

i really struggled with my morning pills for a long time. i didnt want to get out of bed. forgot to put them by bed, la la la.

had a baby. when baby wakes up in the morning for her morning milk - i take my pills. (morning milk comes from "advanced stage formula" not my boobs).

i certainly dont advise one to get a baby in order to remember to take pills....its just what works for me.

oh yeah - i dont know anything about sleep studies...but how effective is it if one isnt doing what they would normally do? like taking MI pills before bedtime? or immediately in the morning...just wondering.

db

Many psych meds screw with sleep architecture, particularly REM sleep, enough that it's worth holding them for one night or sometimes longer. (Fluoxetine's problematic because it stays around so long. Our local lab just sort of accounts for it, but they've been known to ask people to come back for a do-over, or to see if they can switch SSRIs and then hold one for one-two days.)

In severe/refractory cases, the labs will say to go ahead and take them, but warn you that you might have to redo the study.

Our local lab has a list of "hold," "take," and "check with us" meds (not just psychotropics.)

Here's THE most useful quick-skim table I've seen on the topic - just came out last month - I'm so amused that this topic came up!

You poor thing. I think the meds I'm on right now stay in my system long enough that I don't notice if I'm a few hours late (lazy liver, I think, but could be wrong). It takes about nine hours late before I start getting cranky. Never missed a few days, though. Now that I'm working - in the morning - I use a mini pill case and take them on my break. Something to prompt does help.

I remember missing Effexor XR doses by a few hours. Holy brain zaps and disequilibrium.

i really struggled with my morning pills for a long time. i didnt want to get out of bed. forgot to put them by bed, la la la.

I simply cannot be trusted to take my morning meds. I don't always wake up at the same time every day, and may wake up late, and may wake up too close to the time for my bedtime meds. I've actualy managed to transfer most of the crucial morning meds to be taken together with the bedtime dose, to increase compliance. The remaining morning meds are those that I couldn't tolerate together with night meds (or stimulate me so much that I can't sleep), and those that I can do without.

Just last week, I missed 4 out of 7 days of morning meds. Though I think my life/productivity/stability would be much better if I could take my morning meds to schedule too (if only for the energising effect).

r.

• 2 weeks later...

Many psych meds screw with sleep architecture, particularly REM sleep, enough that it's worth holding them for one night or sometimes longer.

thanks so much silver, I wish I'd seen that before my study (although I ended up doing the same amount of 'holding' for completely different and stupid reasons, which we've covered.) -- this sleep doc seemed to be really good and I was very impressed with him, so I don't know why he didn't mention stopping my medications at all (even adderall..but that was kinda covered in the reading material about the testing) but it's not like I would go off of them anyway as I'm finally not depressed (for the first time since grade school)-- no sir, I would not go off my cocktail for anything, and I think he understood that so I guess maybe he just didn't see it as an option either?

I don't know. I'm just speculating and I really should just call and see if I can get my follow-up appointment bumped up (it's almost exactly a month from now and I did the study two weeks ago) and just bite the bullet. now that it's done, I'm really afraid of the results (what if there's nothing actually wrong and 'it's just the meds'?? eep.) but that's another topic. anyway, thank you for your post silver, I always find your responses very intelligent and helpful ;)

I simply cannot be trusted to take my morning meds. I don't always wake up at the same time every day, and may wake up late, and may wake up too close to the time for my bedtime meds. I've actualy managed to transfer most of the crucial morning meds to be taken together with the bedtime dose, to increase compliance.

me either.

after all this (and even dedicating a post to it to hold myself even more accountable)--

I still suck at meds.

I've been scewing up my life royally by not taking them until 4 or 5pm and then being up late (like now) just to sleep until 1pm the next day, be awake for a few hours just to need a nap and wake up at 4 or 5 finally ready to take my meds and start my day.

I cannot stand myself right now, WHY can I not get myself together?

It's not that hard, it's not hard at all really...it requires very little effort on my part but I still can't bring myself to do it. I hate being so tired. I think I'm getting a little depressed again.

At least now I'm taking them every day, even if it's late and screwing things up, it is still a whole lot better than missing them and bumping into walls/falling down stairs/having seizures/etc.

baby steps?

bah.

I'm a grown up now, why do I find it so impossible to just take care of myself?

thanks for reading and all of the well-wishes...besides the complaints above, I'm pretty sure I'm back to 'normal' (whatever that is, ya know?)

meg

Archived