CrazyBoards.org

Zoloft for atypical depression?

Guest Kristi

Guest Kristi

So I have atypical depression and anxiety, Prozac, Celexa, Lexapro, etc. have not been very effective for me. I am not on anything right now and I have let things spiral out of control, sleeping constantly, eating like a cow, withdrawn etc. Its very bad right now and I am thinking of meds again. Trying to decide if I want to even bother with it. Do I really want to gain another 20 lbs and kiss my sex life goodbye for at best being comfortably numb? Do I really want to go through the hope that just maybe this one will work only to discover that it doesnt. Its maddening and very cruel. So my doc is recommending zoloft becuz i have no insurance and its cheap. Should I even bother? Has Zoloft worked for anyone else?

You have to ask yourself what is worse, the illness or the treatment? Don't assume a med will make you gain weight. You already said you are "eating like a cow". Maybe this will help. Zoloft gave me an unbearable side effect, but Paxil worked wonders for me and made me LOSE weight. Keep in mind I've tried MANY other drugs until something worked. Without meds are you planning on going on as you are endlessly without any type of treatment? These are all things you have to consider. You didn't mention seeing a therapist. That could help you a great amount. The trick to that is finding the right therapist. Good luck.

Zoloft might help, but then again, having failed multiple other SSRIs, it's more likely that it will not. But you never know.

What about Wellbutrin. It's generic now, still kind of pricey in the XL formulation, but affordable in it's original formulation. The only problem there is that it has to be taken 3x per day.

The combination of Zoloft + Wellbutrin has been very successful for many. It worked for me for almost three years.

Another thing about cost, see if your doc will prescribe the zoloft in a double dose. It's one of the drugs that you can split in half without any time release issues.

There are also sites like Needymeds that can help you get your meds for free or for reduced cost. Many of the large pharmaceutical companies have these programs, too. They're worth looking into.

And, yeah, therapy. It really does help.

I don't know what type of depression I had when I first got diagnosed (I was diagnosed by a general practitioner), but I did have the issue of snacking out of depression/boredom/whatever. Zoloft was the first antidepressant I tried, and it worked like magic. I honestly don't know whether it made me eat less or whether it sped up my metabolism (or enabled me to get off my butt more often), but it also made me lose weight.

It may not work for you, but I think I'd give it a try...

Archived