CrazyBoards.org

I've read somewhere, though I don't remember where, that Depakote can be used for restlessness. Is that true? If so, what is the "average" dosage used?

I have not heard of this. I do know that many psych meds can cause akathesia, which is basically restlessness. When someone has this it is uncomfortable to sit still and they feel compelled to constantly move their limbs and body. So depakote may be given to relieve this side effect. I dont know.

Restlessness is actually listed as one of the possible side effects of Depakote. I have heard of a few ACs, including that one, being tried for RLS, but I don't know off the top of my head what happened with that, if anything.

Akathisia sucks. Hard. It seems to most often be caused by APs, but some other things, like SSRIs, can occasionally do it, too. There are various things that can be used to treat it, but I don't remember ever seeing Depakote as one of them, and I'm not aware of it acting on anything that would really make it appropriate for treating the cause of it. Usually it's something more like Cogentin that's used for that.

Archived