CrazyBoards.org

YMMV: Your mileage may vary. ;)

Heck my mom was on Stelazine for over 35 years. For the last 15 years the pdoc kept trying to scare her off of it with tales of Tardive Diskenisia and EPS. The only way she finally gave it up was when she got tremors so bad the last couple years that she couldn't pour the milk in her coffee!

Water can cause ataxia, coma and death when taken internally, yet is essential for us. AAP's have potential side effects, and yet no absolute known long term side effects. They are wonder drugs that let us live more stable and happy lives. We just don't have the luxury of making our meds optional. It's so easy for us to forget that mental illness is a "Major" illness.

There are new drugs coming down the pike and we can expect major advances in the next twenty years in medication. I can be optimistic, because I see that over half the crazymeds we have now did not exist 25 years ago when I was in college.

Trust your pdoc, take the recommended meds and deal with problems IF they occur.

a.m.

Don't forget that both bipolar and schizophrenia are progressive conditions. If you don't stop them early, it's very likely that they will keep getting worse until you're totally disabled. IMHO, it's completely valid to be worried about what the long term effects of this is. You've got to keep the other side of the coin in mind and think about what the long term effects would be of not taking it.

To answer your question, nobody knows. Nobody knows what the long term effect of Nutrasweet is either but I suspect it's likely worse that Geodon.

If you do take it or if you don't, it's a gamble either way. The odds of a positive outcome are much greater if you do take it, however. If you don't take it you know the risk. If you do, the risk is unknown but it's much more likely to turn out in your favor. Going with the known risk over the unknown can be seductive, but it's really not a good idea.

I saw this as someone taking Thorazine for sleep, btw.

Archived