CrazyBoards.org

• 4 weeks later...

I was on Sam-E years ago, and it didn't do a damn thing. But, to be fair, I'm not at all sensitive to medications and the like, and need serious dosages to feel anything, so the lack of feeling Sam-E may have been just me.

Anyway, best of luck to you!

Check out these two...

Antidepressant activity of

S-adenosyl-L-methionine in mice and rats

by

Czyrak A, Rogoz Z, Skuza G, Zajaczkowski W, Maj J

Institute of Pharmacology,

Polish Academy of Sciences, Krakow.

J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol 1992 Jan-Mar; 3

ABSTRACT

S-Adenosyl-L-methionine (SAM), main methyl donor, was tested in mice and rats in several models which are predictive of possible antidepressant activity. In the forced swimming test in rats the effect of SAM was compared with that of the tricyclic antidepressant amitriptyline. SAM decreased dose-dependently immobility time in the forced swimming test in mice and rats, these effects being antagonized by haloperidol and prazosin (the latter only in rats). Locomotor or exploratory activity in mice and rats was not increased by SAM. D-Amphetamine-induced locomotor hyper-activity in rats was increased by repeated (14 days, twice daily) treatment with SAM. Behavioural stimulation induced by D-amphetamine or L-dopa (given with benserazide) in mice was not changed by a single dose of SAM. The drug reduced hypothermia induced by apomorphine in mice. Hypothermia induced by reserpine or clonidine in mice was not antagonized. SAM increased the amplitude of the acoustic startle reflex. The above results indicate that the psychopharmacological profile of SAM resembles that of antidepressants in only some tests. The mechanism by which SAM produces its antidepressant effect needs further investigation.

Role of S-adenosyl-L-methionine in the treatment of depression:

a review of the evidence

by

Mischoulon D, Fava M.

Harvard Medical School,

Depression Clinical and Research Program,

Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston.

Am J Clin Nutr 2002 Nov;76(5 Suppl):1158S-61S

ABSTRACT

Major depression remains difficult to treat, despite the wide array of registered antidepressants available. In recent years there has been a surge in the popularity of natural or alternative medications. Despite this growing popularity, there is limited evidence for the effectiveness of many of these natural treatments. S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe) is one of the better studied of the natural remedies. SAMe is a methyl donor and is involved in the synthesis of various neurotransmitters in the brain. Derived from the amino acid L-methionine through a metabolic pathway called the one-carbon cycle, SAMe has been postulated to have antidepressant properties. A small number of clinical trials with parenteral or oral SAMe have shown that, at doses of 200-1600 mg/d, SAMe is superior to placebo and is as effective as tricyclic antidepressants in alleviating depression, although some individuals may require higher doses. SAMe may have a faster onset of action than do conventional antidepressants and may potentiate the effect of tricyclic antidepressants. SAMe may also protect against the deleterious effects of Alzheimer disease. SAMe is well tolerated and relatively free of adverse effects, although some cases of mania have been reported in bipolar patients. Overall, SAMe appears to be safe and effective in the treatment of depression, but more research is needed to determine optimal doses. Head-to-head comparisons with newer antidepressants should help to clarify SAMe's place in the psychopharmacologic armamentarium.

I personally like it although it's a bit pricey, but you should first find out if your problems are resulted from over/under methylation. And also realize that there's an intricate balance needed in methyl donors, just don't go taking SAMe expecting it to be panacea.

I'm sort of with Betsycity.

I've tried it. I did notice "something", but that was at 800mg. Maybe taking 1600mg/day regularly would show some effect.

But THAT'S as expensive as meds! - If not moreso since it's not covered by insurance.

Archived