CrazyBoards.org

How did you find out YOUR Bi Polar

I'm new so please be patient, it I'm posting wrong. Went to dr. (family) and he said I was severly depressed and gave me Fluoxetine 20 mg a day , also he's been treating me for migraines and tring Topamax 200 mg a day as a preventive, But as of the 3rd of July I quit taking them cause I've gotten 2nd urinary tract infection and read on this board that this med can cause this system. Also when migraine comes on Maxalt 1o mg Sometimes works and sometime don't.

My dr. also had me do a MRI of my head I havn't gotten the results from that yet needing to do blood work next to rule out any other factors. Had migraine's since childhood.

My Question is he's saying now he believes I may be bi polar I'm 47 years old... My husband and my mom don't thank this is true but.... could we be in denial. :)

Can you be dignosed so late in life. ;)

Has my husband covered my bases so well that we now hardly recognize them.. he does the bills .. he does the grocery shopping while I go play in electronic's :) ... He pretty much decides what he whats cooked and I cook it....

So I just go with the flow I don't have to make decisions cause it's hard for me to make decisions.

But I really don't have manic stages. I did in grocery store but we have that covered now.

Any advice.... I'm not sure if dr. is right if I'm bi polar

jaque

You could look here to start...

[link=http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/psychology/781/dsm.htm"'>http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/psychology/781/dsm.htm" target="_blank]http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/psychology/781/dsm.htm[/link]

It's the DSM entries for bipolar. Now, notice you can have a bipolar episode and not BE bipolar, just like you can have a depression and not be a depressive. Mood swings also occur as a result of medication.

Notice that to be hypomanic symtpoms must last 4 to 7 days. After 7 days is mania. Under four days is? Our situation. I'm not too sure if I'm bipolar either.

Basically, look for symptoms like this to see if you are manic/hypomanic:

unusually energetic and positive, insightful, flight/rush of thoughts and ideas, elated feeling, inflated self-esteem or grandeur, quick motions or gestures, very talkative, unusually outgoing and sociable, increased impulsivity, some difficulty concentrating, some regrettable actions or decisions, little need for sleep or food, impatience, nervousness, agitation, easily irritable, feeling as if you drank 20 cups of coffee, pushy, overly insistent or overbearing, increased use of drugs or alcohol, increased sexual interest, heightened senses (colors seem brighter, taste and smell stronger, etc)

Jaque,

I am 37 and was just diagnosed. I have Attention Deficit Disorder and Fibromyalgia, too.

With all of that going on, it is easy to see how the diagnosis was missed. I have been treated for depression since I was 20. Way back in the day, I remember a doctor mentioning BP to me, but I never took him seriously. I thought he must be smoking some pretty good shit to think that I could be bipolar. I never went back to see him and didn't mention it to another doctor, ever.

Even though my depression has been treated many different ways over nearly the last two decades, I never had full relief. There has always been a darkness behind me. It follows me everywhere. There are times when I can outsmart it for a while by finding something to throw myself into, but the older I get the quicker it finds its way back to me.

I have struggled with it increasingly in the last few months. That is what spurred a visit with a new psych. I thought I was going in to have my dosage adjusted. I didn't know I was going to come out with a new diagnosis. Bipolar Type 2.

Guess what? It is right on the money.

There are times that I feel like I can change the world. I feel like I have found out the secret to life and can't see why no one thought of it before. I am invincible and operating at full capacity. I am incredibly productive and everything just makes sense! It could be some new work at home opportunity that has me on fire. Or maybe it is the prospect of purchasing real estate. It could even be that I have found a new favorite artist. It doesn't really matter when I am manic. I am on top of the world and I want everyone to know about it. My family has called it charisma, passion and even genius.

Call me two weeks later to check on me and you will find that I am in a pit of despair. There is nothing that remotely seems appealing, whether it is food, music, television or sex. I have dropped to feeling there is no point to having hope and that the effort required even for every day living is far more than I can pull together. I will not tell you how I feel. That would be too hard. Words could never express the depth of the pain and I would not bother. I would just suffer in silence until the darkness loosens its grip enough for me to find the mid ground between the first and the latter.

The older we get, the less frequent we experience the High and the Low becomes much more prominent. I didn't know that until this appointment. I have been craving a High for a good bit now. I thought it would rescue me from what I have been going through the last couple of months.

The easiest way to explain the past couple of months is that the sweater that I wear, the one that holds me together, the one that keeps the details of my life performing as they should has been slowly unraveling. The more it has unraveled the faster it gets.

Now there is nothing left of the sweater. I have come undone. I am sitting naked with my lithium bottle in one hand and my lamictyl bottle in the other. My psych also ordered a month home from work, so I don't really mind the nakedness so much.

Do you have it? Do you not have it? It is hard to say. You need to get to know more about it before you can decide. If any of what I have shared from my experiences feels familiar, your doc may be on the right track with the diagnosis. I am not type 1. I am type 2 and there is a big difference. Once you have read enough about it, you should know in your gut whether it is you or not. I have absolutely no doubt that it is me, now that I understand the differences in the types.

My husband and I have arrangements for responsibilities at home like you and your husband do. He keeps the house up all week and I do a major deep cleaning every other week. Once I get into it that groove I can't seem to get out of it, but I don't get into it often enough...lol. I pay the bills, which is a more controlled activity. He does the majority of the shopping. This eliminates a lot of impulse buying. You just figure out what works for you and stick to it. I think that is awesome. We have been married for 17 years, so it is definitely working for us.

I wish you well!

Now, notice you can have a bipolar episode and not BE bipolar, just like you can have a depression and not be a depressive.

Quoting myself here for correction. It turns out psychiatrists and psychologists follow a "once bipolar always bipolar" rule. This is for liability, among other things.

So if you have an "episode" or a drug is able to make you hypo-manic or manic even once, there "forever" exists the danger of a recurrent manic episode. This, in stark contrast to never having any kind of manic reaction ever, is apparently the big difference between bipolar and unipolar.

But as of the 3rd of July I quit taking them cause I've gotten 2nd urinary tract infection and read on this board that this med can cause this system. Also when migraine comes on Maxalt 1o mg Sometimes works and sometime don't.

Is your doctor aware that you stopped taking your medication? Have you looked into another medication for your migraines to take everyday?

My Question is he's saying now he believes I may be bi polar I'm 47 years old... My husband and my mom don't thank this is true but.... could we be in denial. :)

Can you be dignosed so late in life. ;)

You certainly can. The time period for people to be diagnosed and get proper help once seeking help can sometimes be ten years. So imagine how long one might wait, and then how long it can take to find medications, figure out what reactions to those medications mean, find better medications, etc. Also people can be misdiagnosed, leading to improper treatment.

But I really don't have manic stages. I did in grocery store but we have that covered now.

What do you mean by this? You did in the grocery store?

Mania can look like a couple different things.

Archived