CrazyBoards.org

lexapro/abilify/wellbutrin/lamictal/vistril - anyone on this cocktail?

can I ask what symptoms/dx you are taking them for? (depression, bipolar, anxiety, etc.)

how long have you been taking each? etc.

I can only speak to wellbutrin xl and lamictal both of which are invaluable to me-- I am also taking zoloft (sertraline) which is also an ssri like lexapro. wellbutrin was the first thing to kick me out of the worst of my depression more than two years ago (ie: went from suicidal to just pretty depressed) and have been on it since (except the two months my gp decided I didn't need it. uh. bad. idea. so went back on)-- zoloft was added after that and the combo kept me mildly depressed/depressed-stable-ish for about a year and a half before adding lamictal which kicked my depression's ASS (pardon my french.) and actually put me in remission...lamictal is a beautiful thing for me, but I do think I still need the solid foundation of the other two meds. let us know some more info about you and I can get more specific if you'd like.

oh, am taking them all for 'treatment resistant atypical depression' (hard to find meds, need high doses, and have the kind of depression where you sleep alllll the time to put it in a nutshell).

hths,

meg

meg,

thank you so much for your reply!

i am bi polar, bpd and anxiety ridden. i was never diagnosed until december when i had my first trip to the psych ward. i just want to know if the meds i take are normally mixed together like they are or if any of them dont go together. i was first on wellbutrin, then i stopped taking it. now i started again so i was wanting to know if that was cool...

xo

amiee

can I ask what symptoms/dx you are taking them for? (depression, bipolar, anxiety, etc.)

how long have you been taking each? etc.

I can only speak to wellbutrin xl and lamictal both of which are invaluable to me-- I am also taking zoloft (sertraline) which is also an ssri like lexapro. wellbutrin was the first thing to kick me out of the worst of my depression more than two years ago (ie: went from suicidal to just pretty depressed) and have been on it since (except the two months my gp decided I didn't need it. uh. bad. idea. so went back on)-- zoloft was added after that and the combo kept me mildly depressed/depressed-stable-ish for about a year and a half before adding lamictal which kicked my depression's ASS (pardon my french.) and actually put me in remission...lamictal is a beautiful thing for me, but I do think I still need the solid foundation of the other two meds. let us know some more info about you and I can get more specific if you'd like.

oh, am taking them all for 'treatment resistant atypical depression' (hard to find meds, need high doses, and have the kind of depression where you sleep alllll the time to put it in a nutshell).

hths,

meg

• 2 weeks later...

i just want to know if the meds i take are normally mixed together like they are or if any of them dont go together.

hey again amiee, sorry that I didn't get back to you,

if you've heard some of this before, bear with me but I want to make sure to cover the basics

• do you have a good pdoc? (for instance, who is prescribing these meds?)

• if you are still on the rx's from the hospital or from your gp, you need to find yourself a pdoc of your very own who knows the ins and outs of all of these meds. your pdoc *should* be able to make sure that all of your meds are working well together and will probably have experience with combinations. this is wayyy over a gp's head and it's hard to get good follow-up care from many hospitals (esp. emergency wards) so I really hope you've got someone qualified that you can ask

[*]check interactions (take them into consideration but don't freak out if they're 'moderate'-- just imo, am not a med professional in any way, I just take a lot of them, bah.) here's a list of good sites:

;)

as far as I know, these meds are listed together quite often around here (or at least, for instance, an SSRI AD like lexapro/prozac/zoloft in combo with wellbutrin and/or lamictal) and it seems like abilify is often in cocktails like this one for bpers, I don't know anything about vistril. annnyway, what I'm trying to say is, cover your bases interaction and doctor-wise and try to focus on what is working for *you*-- even if it's an odd (but *safe*) combination, it doesn't matter at all if other people take the same meds..ymmv, as always

hths,

m

edited to fix bb code

I've been on a combination of drugs in the same classes you name.

The vistril is likely there to counter side effects from the Abilify. It may or may not make more sense to take a different AP rather than treat the side effects of the one you're on, but it's not a big deal. If it's working, don't worry about it.

All that matter is if it helps or not.

Archived