CrazyBoards.org

When do you take your meds?

So, most people here probably take multiple medications at multiple times in the day. I'm just wondering how you fit that into your daily lives.

Do you bring your meds with you where ever you go?

Do you take them when it's convenient?

Do others see you take them?

Right now, I take a dose when I wake up, and I take the second around 5:00 pm. I rarely carry any meds on me. If I do, I keep them in my wallet until I need them. I'll just take them late if need be. I don't seem to notice the effects.

I do, however, keep them in my car. If I pull out the arm rest assembly, there's just an empty space underneath. I stash spare pills in there. There's no way anyone snooping around my car would see them. It's nice because I travel a lot, and if I forget the bring my pills, no biggie.

I want to get the XL bupropion formulation, but it's a lot of money I don't want to waste. I guess I have to stick with being inconvenienced.

I have a pill box and I take them roughly twelve hours apart, in the morning and before I go to bed. I often sleep late and miss my morning dose. I have no issue with anyone seeing my take them. My pillbox has compartments to take when I travel.

am, with coffee: abilify, synthroid, and klonopin

Midday: klonopin, if I feel I need it

bedtime: seroquel, lamictal, and vitamins

I carry stashes in my purse, of seroquel and klonopin. I can have high anxiety out in public, I need to make sure I'm "armed".

Breakfast---take the first batch. (It's almost always better to take meds with food)

12 hours later, it's time for dinner! Next batch!

I don't care if people see me taking them. I've got a cute little leather box on a keychain that functions as a pillbox. I just mumble something about wanting a couple of aspirin for a headache or something. It's cool being middle-aged, because nobody cares what you do and most people my age are taking something.

olga

I don't care if people see me taking them. I've got a cute little leather box on a keychain that functions as a pillbox. I just mumble something about wanting a couple of aspirin for a headache or something. It's cool being middle-aged, because nobody cares what you do and most people my age are taking something.

Yeah, must be nice. Few people my age take any pills, and if they do, it's suspicious. I'd rather not have to explain anything, so I don't let people see me take them.

I suppose it's easy to carry your pills around if you've got a purse. I'm a guy, so I never have enough pocket space anyway. The keychain thing's a good idea. I might have to try that.

I really, really want someone to make a cellphone with a little pill compartment in the body of the phone.

I know that this is sort of a niche market, but, hell, my parents are technically "seniors," are the techiest folk I know, and they use their cellphone alarms all the time to remind them to take rx.

I take my meds with breakfast and at bedtime, since those are constant. When I'm on a TID schedule, I set my alarm for the third dose, as my days are chaotic at work most times. I do keep an extra set of doses with me, in case I have to stay overnight in town... and I keep an extra 2 days' worth in my purse in the middle of winter, as the only road to my house has been known to close for a day or two.

When I have a TID med, I keep the extras in a little pill vial that snugs into the bottom of my cell phone case/holster. I have been known to scotch-tape the midday doses to the back of my phone, if I am taking things like antibiotics.

Yeah, must be nice. Few people my age take any pills, and if they do, it's suspicious. I'd rather not have to explain anything, so I don't let people see me take them.

I suppose it's easy to carry your pills around if you've got a purse. I'm a guy, so I never have enough pocket space anyway. The keychain thing's a good idea. I might have to try that.

oops. Sorry. I didn't know you are a guy. Well, Silver's ideas are good. My keychain with the leather box is good. You could get a keychain with a little flashlight on it and take out the batteries. That might be big enough.

I also used to have a Cymbalta pen---one of those freebies that they give to doctors. It lighted up, so it had a compartment that held three of those batteries you use in cameras and hearing aids----the round ones. Anyway, you could take those out and make a pill compartment.

olga

I take pills when I wake up, at noon, around 5PM, and at bedtime. All the pills I need during the day at work, or wherever else I'm headed, I carry in a little Altoids Smalls box. It barely takes up any space in my pocket and holds a heck of a lot of pills. I does jingle a little when I am walking though.

Tommy

i take my cipralex when i wake up (i wrote 'in the morning' there, but i gotta be honest).

and i take my lithium and seroquel at night. i know some people split up their lithium doses but i seem to be okay taking it all at once.

i do work though and sometimes have to take my meds there. i have two plastic pill containers on my keychain for that. it makes my keychain pretty big (along with various doodads) but when people comment on it i say 'well, i know when it's in my pocket and i hear it when it hits the ground'.

works for me,

grouse.

I take a bunch in the morning, a few in the late afternoon and bigger bunch at bedtime. In case of emergency I have a ziplock bag in my rear pocket with some lortab, thorazine and ativan.

Well... I used to take my meds three times a day:

Around 10-11, 430, around 10 or 11.

Morning: abilify, wellbutrin xl, topomax lamictal vyvanse

afternoon: lamictal, abilify

night: abilify, cymbalta, topomax, trazodone, lorazapam[ if i take it], risperdal

Only because of work, it' so inconvenient to walk off the floor everyday at 430. Sometimes I'm working then and sometime I'm not. So instead I changed it so I take the second dose of lamictal at night and the secodn doese of abilify also at night.

It seems to be ok so far.

I do, however, keep them in my car. If I pull out the arm rest assembly, there's just an empty space underneath. I stash spare pills in there. There's no way anyone snooping around my car would see them. It's nice because I travel a lot, and if I forget the bring my pills, no biggie.

My immediate reaction to seeing that was, "Bad idea alert! Bad idea alert!" I suppose it depends on how long you leave them in there, but while most meds will survive for a long time under good storage conditions, excess heat and light will break down all sorts of things (and not just meds, lots of other stuff, too, like electronics, which hate being really hot), and it can get really hot in a closed car on a warm, sunny day. If your spare meds are sitting in there for a few days at a time, they're probably fine, but a few weeks at a time in the summer may be bad for some of them.

As far as for what I do, I take stuff four times a day: when I wake up, and then roughly every five hours after that until it's time to go to sleep. I get very cranky if I don't take my Keppra frequently enough. Meds with shorter half-lives and I don't seem to get along very well unless I take them on a fairly short schedule (die, Neurontin, die). If I'm not going to be home when I need to take stuff, I toss whatever I'll need in a little mini-pillbox I put in my pocket, and I pull it out and take them whenever I need to, wherever I am. I don't give even half a rat's ass what anyone thinks. It's very rare for anyone to say anything, and I actually can't remember anyone being critical in any way, just curious. It may help that I don't make a big deal about it, either trying to hide it or show it off, so other people don't, either.

Morning - lamictal, abilify w/ breakfast

Evening - half a klonopin (so much for PRN - pdoc said I could take it every day if I wanted. fucking anxiety)

Bed time- BCP, vitamin, something to sleep (benadryl, other klonopin half, or trazodone. saving the seroquel, which pdoc gave for sleep, for if I go batshit again)

I have a cheapo pill case I bought from Walgreens. It's teal-colored, so you can't see what pills are in there. I don't think anyone has noticed me taking them, but then again I work for a mental health place so maybe people just don't care.

I carry around a small one-day supply of everything but my vyvanse and klonopin, and I keep some of my klonopin with me in the prescription bottle. I would like to just keep some on a keychain but I worry about legal trouble if I get stopped or something. I don't know if that's a realistic concern.

The cell phone idea is a great one. I found a couple that go on straps, though neither seem to be marketed in the U.S.:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/pill...harm-237686.php

http://www.strapya-world.com/categories/12_61_1024.html

You could probably put any of them on a cellphone strap if you were ok with the extra bulk.

I would like to just keep some on a keychain but I worry about legal trouble if I get stopped or something. I don't know if that's a realistic concern.

Yeah see, I don't know if I should be concerned or not either. But I have thought numerous times about it and keep forgetting to talk to my doctor, asking for a letter notorized if at all on letterhead stating what medications I take and who prescribed them to me and saying it's valid for like one year or something.

I'm like a fucking pharmacy and it sort of worries me. What if I get pulled over and like I'm searching through my purse and the cop hears a shitload of pills rattle. If they feel I'm acting suspicious isn't that reason to search?

Not like I really expect that to happen at all. Everyone acts nervous if they get pulled over. But for something like going through security at the airport- they totally didn't have a problem with me having all my pill bottles [which is a lot] in a bag, but what if they just felt like questioning me and being asses? No, they shouldn't do that, but what people shouldn't do and what they do can be far from each other.

There are probably other situations that I just can't think of right now.

But it would just be good.

Unfourtunately I change meds a lot so maybe the notarized thing is too much to ask for.

As long as you're not carrying a retail-type quantity in little baggies, they don't care if you have a day's worth of rx on you without the bottles. (I just asked a state detective and a city deputy officer, so small n.)

If your day's rx include several controlled substances, I'd suggest a simple printout from your pharmacy of your current meds - get it whenever you pick the rx up.

Unless you're driving impaired, in which case expect to have the book thrown at you. They will include any meds with motor/cognitive effects in the charges, so you can potentially get a DUI/alcohol/drugs.

If you're doing something uber-athletic and competitive, however, like marathoning: have the note on letterhead from your prescriber. Especially if you're taking stimulants. I used to compete in biathlon many years ago, and I almost was kicked off the race for this.

i take mine in the morning between 6am - 9am depending on when i get up. and at night between about 8pm - 11pm depending on when i go to bed. I take it earlier at night if i want to get up earlier.

i carry a whole stack with me in my purse - probably about two days worth i guess. i also have a few painkillers, cold and flu tablets, etc. I have a little round tin to put them in (it used to have tampons, haha). and i keep that with my little bottle of dettol hand gel in a little zip bag, always with me. i often think - my bag could be so much smaller if i didnt have to carry all that!!

i feel safe in a way because i know that if i passed out or something - people could look in my bag and see all the stuff i take. although, i doubt they'd go through my bag that thoroughly that they'd actually find it.

When I get up (6 ish), I take lamictal, effexor, multivit and bcomplex, colace

A couple of times during the workday, I throw 500mg of calcium citrate and 1000iu Vit D3 powder in whatever I'm drinking

Get home, have another calcium/D3 shot in some crystal light, .5-1mg of Klonopin, depending on how I'm feeling

Dinner, another multivit

Bedtime, lamictal, effexor, seroquel, poly-iron 150, 500mg Vit C, colace

Weekly IM shots of B12

**all the supplements are because of my gastric bypass**

My immediate reaction to seeing that was, "Bad idea alert! Bad idea alert!"

You're right. They can break down. I only have one day's supply in there, and it gets switched out often. If I don't have something in there, I miss doses.

I would like to just keep some on a keychain but I worry about legal trouble if I get stopped or something. I don't know if that's a realistic concern.

I know if it's in the prescription bottle it's always ok. If it's in an unlabeled container, it's technically illegal. (In my area, even one pill is illegal) Most police understand the necessity of carrying an extra day's worth though. If they see a few pills, they may ask you to produce the container, but I doubt they will cite you. All things considered, which is the bigger problem: someone with one dose of unlabeled pills, or an unmedicated bipolar individual roaming the streets?

If you're doing something uber-athletic and competitive, however, like marathoning: have the note on letterhead from your prescriber. Especially if you're taking stimulants. I used to compete in biathlon many years ago, and I almost was kicked off the race for this.

Often times stimulants are banned from athletic events whether they treat a valid condition or not. That's a gray area. Should people with ADHD be forced to endure their illness in order to compete? If they are medicated, should other competitors start at a disadvantage due to the side effects of another's prescription medication? I'm not sure where I stand on the issue.

Archived