CrazyBoards.org

Possibly pregnant.

I have been thinking for a few days that I might be pregnant but I can't get a test until tomorrow. But even if I am not, I am thinking I might want another one. Am I crazy for wanting another one? I have 7 children and yes they are all my own, and I am 37 years old. I just love kids. But I know with my meds and bipolar it may not be a good idea. in fact probably a really bad one. So am I crazy? (aside from the obvious, lol)

Well, yeah, you're nuts---but that's why you hang out with us, right? heh

I think you need to sit down with a piece of paper and do the "pros and cons" list that people use when making big decisions. Some of the questions you might ask are:

1) Can we really afford to add another person to our household, or are we strained to the limit of our resources with the 7 kids we have now?

2) Will I be able to educate another child? How will all of them go to college, if that's what they desire?

3) What will happen if some of the children turn out to have special needs? ADD, dyslexia, MI issues, diabetes, bad eyes, bad teeth: there are a number of things that could happen with kids. Are you ready to take on an 8th that might have serious issues?

4) How does your husband feel? Will he keel over or jump for joy when he finds out that you're pregnant?

5) Do you have a support group of friends/parents/siblings near by? I think you're overseas, if I remember correctly.

Ultimately, I think this is one of the most personal decisions that a woman has to make. Talk it over with your husband and think it through carefully. Make sure you're weighing all of the pros and cons.

Good luck!

olga

ETA: Don't forget to consider your age. You are not old, by any means---but if you have a child in 9 months, you will be about 55 when the kid is a senior in high school. I'm here to tell you that having teenagers and going through menopause at the same time is a volatile mixture. heh

Thanks Olga,

Those are definately things to consider. I don't know how dh will feel if I am pregnant now. If I am it definately wasn't planned. As far as my age, yeah, I know having a teenager and going through menopause is not fun. for either of us. My mom was going through menopause when I was in high school. we had a lot of bad times! But my youngest dd is 2 now so it is the same situation. I will still have that problem. But I might just be going through a period of broodiness. I don't know. I kind of hope that I am and I kind of hope that I am not. I hate this feeling but if I am it would explain a lot of how I have been feeling lately. But if I decide that I would like to maybe have another one I will definately discuss it with dh first.

Yeah, there's a hormonal thing that goes on in your 30s. I had twinges of it when I was 35, 36, 37. Somewhere in there. I knew I was never going to have kids, but I still got this feeling and wanted to get pregnant. It was out of the question, but the feeling was still there. It may just be hormonal and not logical at all.

I mentioned the age thing because my stepdaughters became mothers at 38 and 39, and now those kids are teens. It's just pretty hard, as you remember with your mother.

But hey---maybe you should go for a baseball team! ;)

olga

Archived