CrazyBoards.org

No problem, JMS. I'll move this to the main "side effects" forum.

Do you feel that one of your meds is causing the sweats? Any chance that your doctor could try a different med that doesn't have the same effect? I do understand how you feel: cymbalta gave me the sweats, and I was having hot flashes at the same time. Even with a drug change, I spend the summer with a bandana tied around my head to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Be sure to keep your sodium level up: it sounds like you are really sweating up a storm.

I hope one of our members has a useful suggestion for you.

olga

I'm a pretty awesome sweater, too, both by nature and medication. If women are supposed to "glow" I'm a supernova. And that's in the desert where typical humidity runs 7 to 12%.

Both Effexor and Wellbutrin can increase sweat, but I think most psychoactive meds can. Except for the old TCAs which are sometimes prescribed for their antihistamine drying effect. Didn't work for me, though. I had the dry mouth and sleepies, but the sweat still poured.

For work, wearing an absorbent t-shirt under a regular shirt can help with the sweat lines on the outer shirt. Can you wear a hat at work? That can keep the head sweat from dripping onto your work space. And, I always keep a couple of cotton handkerchiefs with me so I can discreetly (I hope) mop my face and neck from time to time. Another thing that might help is one of those neck kerchiefs that you can get at golf shops that contain a water-retaining polymer that you soak and put in the freezer and then tie around your neck. It can delay head sweat for an hour or so. You could get two and alternate them at work. And you can buy tiny personal fans, either electric or battery powered, that can clip to a desk edge. Sometimes, just having the air moving helps.

The bright side? I can have all the salty food I want and will never have too much sodium in my system.

I've had terrible night sweats since I started on Lamictal just over two years ago. I am also on Cymbalta, but didn't realize that could contribute to the sweating, which seems to be getting worse. I don't sweat excessively during the day, but my sheets get soaked every night.

Tommy

i barely break a sweat even when exercising in the daytime - i'm a freak that way. i only get night sweats.

except, when on effexor. for the first time in my life i bought anti-perspirant. i'm sure it was nothing close to what you're going through there, but i do remember it got worse as i increased the dose (i think i got up to 300mg but i don't remember for sure).

so no real ideas, just wanted to say it's not just you. i hope the suggestions on this thread help, they sound good!

(OT question - what's up with night sweats? i still have those, a lot, many times a week my partner changes beds because he can't deal with how hot my body is or the sweating once the "fever" breaks). i've had them for so long, ranging in severity, that i don't know if i could say it's med related? maybe?)

I sweat excessively both during the day and at night. I started out on Zoloft, and I don't think it was too bad in this respect, but Effexor really did a number on me. I'm now on Lexapro and Wellbutrin, and the sweating saga continues. Oddly enough, during the day, I usually sweat only from one armpit at a time... :-/

There's a prescription antiperspirant, Dri-Sol (Drysol?) that is better than nothing. That's not really a ringing endorsement, I know. I think Certain-Dri is the OTC version.

"Dress shields" are useful if it's just an underarm problem, but won't do much for the rest of you.

TCAs, like Greenyflower mentioned, help some people. Clonidine does too, in a few anecdotal cases, but the sedation and lower blood pressure can be a problem.

If there's a hot-flash sensation with it - doesn't sound like it, but just fyi - prazosin or terazosin can work wonders.

The super-spiffy athletic fabrics can help with wicking - I have a friend who uses a runner's singlet made of some uber-tech fabric as an undershirt, then changes that out once or twice per shift.

I hope you don't have iron-rich water - sweat stains bond beautifully to the iron, and then you end up with little rust stains on all your shirts. Learned this when we had a house with very old pipes...

Is this a new thing or a lifelong thing?

eta: I forgot to mention. If you're searching for info, look for "primary hyperhidrosis."

You can have the nerves cut to stop the problem. Absolute last-ditch tx, as I recall.

Here's an advocacy group page with tx info.

Also, Botox can be used if it's a localized problem - but not on your whole torso, I'd think. I don't know much about the Botox option, other than it works rather well if it's localized.

Archived