CrazyBoards.org

Lamital Side effects

Guest Michelle

OK I have been on Lamital for about 8 months now. I do not plan on going off because I do not want to go back to those dark days. But I do want to know if I am alone on some of these what I thinks side effects. Ok Stupid, I have become very stupid. I was an A student to failing. I can read and read but nothing clicks. Then the talking!!! Man can never get a sentence out in the first try, words dont come easy. Lost in thought. Yeah in the middle of going to do something or talking about something, ya loss it. Hardest thing lately, its a fog feeling on memories, Like I can remember things, but I can not remember the mental feeling of it. Does this make any sort of sense? The sexual arousment (horney) is kinda nice. The not sleeping has to go, not liking it. Ambien CR only gives me 4-5 hours of sleep and Lunesta has the worse taste for days in your mouth. Hope to hear from some of you. Thanks

The first few things you mentioned, with trouble reading/talking and with memory, are pretty common side effects for ACs in general, including Lamictal. The other two are not as much so. The sleeping thing (either too much or too little) is somewhat common with Lamictal, but it does not at all have any sort of reputation for making people horny, as far as I've heard. It sounds kind of like you might be on too high (or maybe too low, depending, since it's weird like that, but my guess is high...) a dose for you. How much are you taking? If it didn't work at all or well enough at anything less than what you're taking now, I guess that's life, but if you just ramped right up to your current dose in a "we have to do something about my mood now" attempt, it might be worth asking your doctor about backing off slightly to see if you can find a spot where it still works but doesn't cause as many problems. It can be a very picky med as far as dosage goes for a lot of people, with a sweet spot that works with no or almost no side effects, and anything higher or lower than that just isn't as good.

OK I have been on Lamital for about 8 months now. I do not plan on going off because I do not want to go back to those dark days. But I do want to know if I am alone on some of these what I thinks side effects. The sexual arousment (horney) is kinda nice.

The sleeping thing (either too much or too little) is somewhat common with Lamictal, but it does not at all have any sort of reputation for making people horny, as far as I've heard.

We learn something new every day!

http://epilepsy.emedtv.com/lamictal/lamict...effects-p2.html

We learn something new every day!

I suppose we do. If I had to guess, I would guess that that's probably not a direct result of anything Lamictal does, but a consequence of improved mood. The same site also mentions that a small number of people gain weight on Lamictal (which is in general regarded as weight neutral, although a small number of people either lose or gain weight on it), but that was only observed in studies of people taking it for mood disorders, not seizure disorders; I assume that's also most likely/most often a mood-related consequence as opposed to anything the med directly acts on. Generally lists of side effects from studies are anything and everything that anyone experienced during the study, whether or not it was actually caused by the med or not, which they generally don't check for unless it's a specific study of certain effects and where they're coming from or what the mechanism of action is (as opposed to the usual safety/efficacy/FDA approval trials that PI sheet info comes from).

As usual, your milage may vary, I am not a psychopharmacology researcher, etc., just some crazy guy on the Internet. Heh.

• 8 months later...
Guest jedimission

OK I have been on Lamital for about 8 months now. I do not plan on going off because I do not want to go back to those dark days. But I do want to know if I am alone on some of these what I thinks side effects. Ok Stupid, I have become very stupid. I was an A student to failing. I can read and read but nothing clicks. Then the talking!!! Man can never get a sentence out in the first try, words dont come easy. Lost in thought. Yeah in the middle of going to do something or talking about something, ya loss it. Hardest thing lately, its a fog feeling on memories, Like I can remember things, but I can not remember the mental feeling of it. Does this make any sort of sense? The sexual arousment (horney) is kinda nice. The not sleeping has to go, not liking it. Ambien CR only gives me 4-5 hours of sleep and Lunesta has the worse taste for days in your mouth. Hope to hear from some of you. Thanks

Dude, All these drugs cause brain damage. you need to seriously research this topic for you're own safety. Read Dr. Breggin's Brain-Disabling Treatments in Psychiatry and Medication Madness, or You're Drug may be you're problem for a start- this is one messed up industry and using these unscientificaly proven drugs for depression or any other medically unprovable so-called biochemical imbalance is putting your life at risk and signing up for brain injury. I became suicidal (like thousands of people) on prozac- instead of getting me off it- these medical geniuses gave me Lamital and sent me home to die. I got the life threatening rash, was in a 3 day stuper unable to move or call 911 with a fever of 104, ended up with heart, liver, lung, kidney and immune system failure, siezure and slipped into a 10-coma and now have brain injury.

Please- take care of you- I don't know what ese to tell you, but trust your body and your mind- it is trying to TELL you something hear- for God sakes- LISTEN before it is too late.

Lamictal does the same sort of thing to me as far as not being able to finish sentences, fogginess, etc. I haven't had any problems with not sleeping that I can tell, but I can't ever get on a normal sleep schedule anyway.

As for me, I had to go off lamictal because of a rash and I am desperately hoping to go back on it. The fogginess, etc are all worth it to me to never feel like this(unmedicated) again. I didn't know what a difference it was making until I went off it and I would take it all back in an instant. You have to decide if it's worth it to you or if you want to go onto something else and try something else out.

Archived