CrazyBoards.org

Lucid Dreaming

I often have lucid dreams and I can almost always control what happens in those dreams. The problem is, I dream lucidly too much, a couple of nights in a row sometimes. I'm scared to just sit back and let the dream unfold cuz the last time I did that, I felt paralyzed all over and I had to tell my toes to wiggle. Then I woke up then I woke up again.

Any advice on how to have a dreamless sleep? Or is this happening often because I have some repressed issues or something?

I have been wondering the same thing about my own dreams!

Since I started taking meds (years ago), my dreams have been very vivid and detailed, almost like watching a movie but you are in it at the same time. And, yes, I sometimes wake up feeling tired or mentally taxed, depending on what happens in the dream. My dreams aren't disturbing, just exceptionally vivid. I can't control them though. I wish I could. It might be more interesting, like an alternate reality.

I have noticed an increase in this since starting Lamictal a few months ago, but I can't say if there's a connection.

Yeah, I get the lucid dreams (moreso before I was on meds, actually) when I really sleep in or take a nap. The problem is that they're all thrashy and sweaty (I have some sort of narcolepsy+sleep disorder NOS), and despite my control over them, "END DREAM AND WAKE UP" is not a control option for these dreams. During naps, I fall into a dream state almost instantly, which can be nerve-wracking.

So, I made sure of getting rid of those dreams, namely by talking to my pdoc and selecting meds that either are neutral in terms of REM sleep or in fact decrease the amount of REM and increase deep sleep (Cymbalta and Remeron have both done this for me). (Though, Cymbalta seems to be love-hate in the general population, I've heard lots of cases of thrashing dreams and night sweats with that drug, and the only time Cymbalta gave me those symptoms is when I tried to come off of it!!!).

My dreams used to be so lucid. A few times after i woke up i couldn't remember if something actually happened, or if i just dreamed it.

I hate it when they are so vivid. I used to wake up screaming or crying.

Since i started taking Ambien, it's been a lot better. Actually, i'm not sure if it's the Ambien or the Zyprexa, but one of those helps me dream 'normally'.

Yeah, I get the lucid dreams (moreso before I was on meds, actually) when I really sleep in or take a nap. The problem is that they're all thrashy and sweaty (I have some sort of narcolepsy+sleep disorder NOS), and despite my control over them, "END DREAM AND WAKE UP" is not a control option for these dreams. During naps, I fall into a dream state almost instantly, which can be nerve-wracking.

So, I made sure of getting rid of those dreams, namely by talking to my pdoc and selecting meds that either are neutral in terms of REM sleep or in fact decrease the amount of REM and increase deep sleep (Cymbalta and Remeron have both done this for me). (Though, Cymbalta seems to be love-hate in the general population, I've heard lots of cases of thrashing dreams and night sweats with that drug, and the only time Cymbalta gave me those symptoms is when I tried to come off of it!!!).

Oh wow, this is the first time that I've heard about Cymbalta and night sweats. I get that too and I'm taking cymbalta. Sometimes I don't know whether it's real life or a dream. Like last night, I dreamt that I overslept for an event that I was supposed to go to today and I kept on waking up and falling asleep to the same dream until I finally checked the time when I woke up for the nth time. I was sweating big time too. I sweat more in my sleep than I do in my waking life and it's getting annoying.

I'll consult this with my doc. I just hope that she'll be able to fix it. I want dreamless nights!

I have been wondering the same thing about my own dreams!

Since I started taking meds (years ago), my dreams have been very vivid and detailed, almost like watching a movie but you are in it at the same time. And, yes, I sometimes wake up feeling tired or mentally taxed, depending on what happens in the dream. My dreams aren't disturbing, just exceptionally vivid. I can't control them though. I wish I could. It might be more interesting, like an alternate reality.

I have noticed an increase in this since starting Lamictal a few months ago, but I can't say if there's a connection.

You could try to control it while you're in it. It takes practice tho so next time you have vivid dreams try to control what's happening. I don't get as much disturbing dreams as I used to. Most are quite pleasant now but it's still tiring. I read somewhere that when you have lucid dreams, your mind is working at a pace that is similar to being awake. I don't know if it's true tho.

Archived