CrazyBoards.org

Hey to All!

My last meeting with my pdoc had me raising the idea that I was really ADD/ADHD which he seemed to not write off at all even mentioning Adderall. What he did say is that he wanted to have me "stable" before we go there. My question is, what time frame are we talking here as far as "stable" is concerned? Is it a month, 2 months, 3 months? And, how am I going to get stable if the ADD is not being addressed? Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance

Edd

Having your mood swings leveled out and depression being in or close to remission; it's hard to put a date on that. How are you doing now? How long have you been on your current meds? I consider myself stable when I graduate from bi-weekly to monthly to tri-monthly and finally to six month appointment intervals. Haven't been there in awhile.

Having your mood swings leveled out and depression being in or close to remission; it's hard to put a date on that. How are you doing now? How long have you been on your current meds? I consider myself stable when I graduate from bi-weekly to monthly to tri-monthly and finally to six month appointment intervals. Haven't been there in awhile.

So far I haven't been able to put together more than 2 months since I began to see this pdoc 2 years ago. I was referred to him by my GP for "Anxiety issues" and my high (in her thinking) dose of Zoloft (200mg.) Shite...I just wanted some way to relax my over active mind, now all these drugs I'm on I'm starting to think I have been hindering my wellbeing not enhancing it.

Now that I'm here telling someone other then my SO about this I've had two Major episodes of depression like no others I've ever had and one major episode of anxiety like I never had. What's up with this?

cussing.gif

you last statement is not clear about when you've had depressive episodes and anxiety.

Stable is somewhat relative timewise, but you shouldn't be having significant mood swings from hypo/manic to depressed or mixed episodes. How long is stable? My guess might be 3-4 months, but truly you need to ask your doc, it's his decision.

The reason for his statement, is that he doesn't want to start you on stimulants or other ADHD meds that might flip you into a manic state, which is always a concerns for bipolars. The protocol is to be stable on a mood stabilizer before adding ADHD/ADD meds.

The symptoms for ADHD/ADD do overlap with bipolar disorder, so it is often difficult to sort them out.

a.m.

Now that I'm here telling someone other then my SO about this I've had two Major episodes of depression like no others I've ever had and one major episode of anxiety like I never had. What's up with this?

Attention bias / increased insight?

As AM said, the symptoms overlap. Deficits in executive function (inhibition, persistence, etc.) are certainly common in depression and mania, and then there's the whole issue of cognitive deficits that persist in people who have manic-depressive illness even when euthymic. So trying to chase down a symptom that may very well reflect ongoing disturbance in affect, with an additional risk of destabilization with the treatment, is maybe not a great use of your time. (As long as you can compensate well enough to remember to take your meds regularly...)

As someone who's been dx'ed in the past with both bipolar disorder and ADD, I'll say: I find it's entirely possible to be stable with severe distractibility still present. I don't take stimulants or Strattera because the risks outweigh the benefits for me; I'll take the developmental delay of being a primo ditz over the destabilization I get with reasonable-dose stimulants (or nortrip, or Strattera.) I lose my glasses while I'm wearing them, I wander off from projects, I have been known to go to the wrong office on certain days, I am well known for speaking spontaneously and without editing first at staff meetings... although I'll work for 12 straight hours on an interesting topic. (I'm not 100% convinced it's ADD and not just BPAD-related cognitive deficits, but that's another story for another day.) I do all that even when I've been euthymic for months at a time. It's 5x worse when I'm depressed, and I have no idea how much worse it is when I'm manic.

Timeline: Ask your psychiatrist. I like Greenyflower's rules of thumb.

• 2 months later...

I lose my glasses while I'm wearing them, I wander off from projects, I have been known to go to the wrong office on certain days, I am well known for speaking spontaneously and without editing first at staff meetings... although I'll work for 12 straight hours on an interesting topic.

Wow! That sounds just like me... I, too, am waiting to get stabilized, but mine is for depression / OCD meds.

Archived