CrazyBoards.org

Stuck Inside Your Own Head

Does anybody else get the feeling that you are just stuck inside your own head. That everything else is a distraction? I compare it to how I felt when I smoked pot. No fun! When I feel "normal" I'm not like this and it has puzzled me for a while.

I don't have ADD but i get like that often, which is really annoying when having phone conversations and you swear you were listening to the person, but you have no flippin clue what they just said.

I don't have ADD but i get like that often, which is really annoying when having phone conversations and you swear you were listening to the person, but you have no flippin clue what they just said.

"Just because I have attention-deficit, that doesn't mean you weren't too boring to pay attention to. Oh look, a puppy!!" -me

i have a dissociative disorder and it manifests in just the way that you describe. so it might not be so obvious what it is that you may be dealing with. but it is nothing that time and research and comparing notes won't lead you to eventually. good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody else get the feeling that you are just stuck inside your own head. That everything else is a distraction? I compare it to how I felt when I smoked pot. No fun! When I feel "normal" I'm not like this and it has puzzled me for a while.

I noticed one of your possible dx is BPII. Whenever I am hypomanic or depressed (more so when depressed), I live inside my head. My world closes in until I'm left with just me and my thoughts. It doesn't matter what I'm doing or where I am, I feel locked inside my own perspective.

Sometimes, I can't manage to break out. But other times, I force myself to communicate with others, to get out and get involved in something that refocuses my attention.

In any case, getting "stuck in your head" is very much a part of several mental illnesses. As other posters have suggested, CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is very helpful in getting around being stuck in your head.

Peace to you,

Phoenix

• 3 months later...

Yes, very much so. Many times everything around me dissolves into nothingness except for my own thought process. It annoys me when people or events in the real world jar me from that state. Much as being absent from the surrounding events has been a negative for me, I prefer it very much to what I've termed the "jello" state, a state of restlessness and mental bounciness.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't feel like everything else was a distraction. More like I was thinking too loud. (Which I would sometimes say, as in: "Sorry, I was thinking too loud. Could you repeat that?") Less commone with meds.

• 1 year later...

Yeah sometimes I'll be sitting here and I'll get stuck inside my own head, like sucked into my thoughts going on in there, to the point where my body gets heavy and i dunno, it's just really odd. I've done that since I was a kid. Knew it wasn't normal but wasn't comfortable telling anyone either.

• 2 weeks later...

In any case, getting "stuck in your head" is very much a part of several mental illnesses. As other posters have suggested, CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is very helpful in getting around being stuck in your head.

Phoenix, CBT can help with that? I see a regular therapist in a couple weeks and I want to ask about that. Do you have any idea what they do in CBT that helps? I would be so happy if I could get that under control. It pretty much interferes with everything.

Archived