CrazyBoards.org

How do you keep stress from messing you up?

I'm coming back from a bad depression, so I'm a little on the brittle side. I've been dealing with some real life kind of stress, and this week has seen some new real stress. Frankly, I feel like shit - anxious, depressed. My son got carsick on the way to my pdoc appt. so I had to cancel and reschedule for next week. So I don't know if what I need is more meds, or just improve my coping skills. I really feel like if I don't do something I'm going to slide into another episode. Help!!

Sress really screws me up--sure ticket to mixed-state land!! I take an extra Klonopin, my benzo of choice. My pdoc says if I take them regularly, "its easier to prevent a fire than put one out" so I do take them, but I had him "build in" some extras because when I am really getting the hand-wringing anxiety/stress, it will help. If I am out, I take 2 of my mood-stabalizers, which happen to be Tegretol. Not a great idea, but better than going totally batshit.

Good luck-- try some meditation or deep breathing, at least, as a quick first-aid for that creeping stress. Or get yourself out of the situation ASAP (which is usually impossible to do--but--

china

My job is total stress right now even though I do love it. I see my tdoc regularly to discuss stress management. I have found have little routines in my day helps with the stress--like getting up at the same time each day, reading from some of my favorite daily affirmations books, & eating a healthy breakfast. Then I really work on being calm when I come home from work. And I do have PRN valium if needed.

I have been in hypomania for awhile & it is totally stress/work related, so I started Seroquel XR. It has slowed me down.

I think it is good that I use a variety of tools to deal with my stress; daily routine, good sleep habits, healthy food, tdoc, & pdoc. Use everything you can to relieve stress. Even though I have been doing good, the hypomania still broke through. If I hadn't been aware and trying to be healthy all round, I think my mood could have gone much worse.

Be nice to yourself.

Oreo

i wish there was a thingie you could put on the side of your head like the temperature gauge on a fish tank that would tell you when you are too overwhelmed. i usually get to the blowout point before i realize what's going on. i have been working lots of hours on a major project at work for the last nine months and with all the other stuff i get myself into i've been contemplating some not so good stuff. i have to make life changes and i don't know what to do.

If you can get out of a situation, do it.

Do not try to multitask - no doing dishes while on the phone and watching your son play basketball or something. One thing a time, literally.

Venting. To tdoc or someone else.

A punching bag is helpful, even if you're just a little stressed and not necessarily angry. Gets the blood flowing. Heck, use a pillow. Same principle.

Turn up music and sing in the car (Helps me. Yes, I get some funny looks).

Breathe deeply and count backwards from one hundred. When you mess up, start counting again.

Don't for get your CBT "Is this a rational response?" techniques.

Yoga.

Seroquel, a benzo, or Effexor XR - all worked for me in the past for anxiety.

I'd give it another week and call your pdoc and tdoc. For me at least, that "I'm feeling especially frail" for an extended period of time usually means there's something not quite right.

Thanks all; lots of good advice and I appreciate it. I see tdoc tomorrow, and that usually helps. I can go up a little on the Xanax prn, so I've been doing that. Fortunately that still comes out to relatively little. I'm trying to do stuff that keeps me calm, like knitting and gardening (there's something about weeding that really takes the edge off). Sometimes it makes me feel really wimpy when I have a hard time dealing with stress, and it helps to have a reminder I'm not alone. So thanks again.

Archived