CrazyBoards.org

Alcohol Help Needed

I have never been much of a drinker, only recently started socially. But, there is a big thing happening tonight where I will be with people who will watch me and keep me totally safe, and I would like to (for once in my life) push my limits a little and see what I can tolerate. The thing is, I'm still taking Klonopin and we all know what doctors and pharmacists will tell you...they just say no alcohol. I've had as much as four drinks in a night before and was ok...but I'm not sure if we might exceed that tonight.

So, I'm wondering, could I just skip the Klonopin for one night? Or is it ok to mix it as long as it's not regular?

I take .25 mg in the am, .25mg at dinner and 1.25mg before bed. I've taken the am but nothing else yet. And I'll likely be drinking vodka (not straight, but that's my drink of preference).

Thanks!

No one here can tell you that drinking alcohol while taking benzos is safe. The main danger is that both substances depress the central nervous system (CNS) particularly breathing, which could cause suffocation while asleep or unconcious. Next is loss of coordination affecting driving, walking, crawling, falling off the floor ...etc. ;)

It would be best not to partake of both at the same time. Have you ever skipped your klonopin dose? Do you know how you react? Note that five or more drinks at a single sitting meets the criteria for binge drinking/alcoholism. *shrug*

Have fun at your party and be safe.

a.m.

Note that binge drinking and alcoholism are not the same thing. Binge drinking generally is also a pattern of behavior, not a one time occurrence.

Not that it makes overconsumption of alcohol any smarter or more safe, etc., etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Me too needs to attend an anxious event, where I would be expected to drink.

I do it to leave my comfort zone, but it makes me anxious. I will bring a precautionary benzo (don't plan on getting completely waste).

Which mix better with alcohol: valium or klonopin?

cheers

r.

Same difference.

Ethanol's both a substrate of and inducer of CYP2E1. Doesn't interfere with either clonazepam or diazepam. They're both long acting. I'm too tired to look it up at the glucuronidation level, but I'll wager there's no big difference there either.

No, that respiratory suppression opportunity, that's very egalitarian, hits the benzos equally.

Go to the anxious event, and, expected or not, don't drink. Have a soda. Hell, have two. What are these other party guests, in eighth grade? Just say, "I'm not having booze," or "Booze and my crazy meds don't get along so well, and you guys don't know how to intubate me," or "Grab me a 7-Up, you hoser," or whatever.

eta: grammar/clarity

I don't know the context of "better" that you're using, but the last time I mixed alcohol and valiums, I passed out and a stranger had to carry me into my house. It would be better if you skipped either the meds or the alcohol.

from my personal experiance i drink several times a week and maybe once a week heavily and klonopin is all i take. i have no issues aside from hangover anxiety. i work in a bar though so its almost part of the job to drink.

everyone is different.

Archived