CrazyBoards.org

I have horrible panic attacks that send me the the emergency room with STAT attention from the staff.

I didn't like the looks of most of the support groups out there. I'm not interested in cyber hugs. I don't think I'll post much, honestly. I'm just hoping for some intelligent no bs conversation about it from people with the same problem.

I admit to feeling anti-psychiatry. ECT is considered a medical treatment; Dick Cavet swears by it? Egas Moniz was awarded a Nobel Prize for lobotomy? Antipsychotics cause tardive dyskineasa? WhatTehF? I keep wondering where the 'first do no harm' part comes in with that segment of the medical profession.

I see a Primary Care doctor for my condition and try to keep my stress in control. Failing that I take one 'pam' or another, switching around depending on the severity and how often the panic attacks happen, usually they are based on external causes. I'm going to ask to switch to something longer lasting than the short acting one I currently have been using. I'm under too much stress for the short acting ones at this time, which I don't need that often at all when my stress levels are under better control.

I truly hate feeling sedated and hate the idea that I have use a pill or an ER when when I can't get the causes of my stress under control.

Welcome to Crazyboards, and I hope you find some useful information here.

If you don't like taking the meds for your panic attacks, look around in the forum on anxiety and you'll see some of the techniques our members are using. There are lots of approaches to GAD that don't involve meds.

Again, welcome, and I promise: no cyber hugs! heh There's some sick humor around here, but not a lot of hugging.

Good luck

olga

I didn't like the looks of most of the support groups out there. I'm not interested in cyber hugs. I don't think I'll post much, honestly. I'm just hoping for some intelligent no bs conversation about it from people with the same problem.

I admit to feeling anti-psychiatry. ECT is considered a medical treatment; Dick Cavet swears by it? Egas Moniz was awarded a Nobel Prize for lobotomy? Antipsychotics cause tardive dyskineasa? WhatTehF? I keep wondering where the 'first do no harm' part comes in with that segment of the medical profession.

Welcome. You are in a wonderful place for support of mental illnesses. I would ask that you keep an open mind if you do decide to stick around. Many of us have benefited from every medical and pharmaceutical therapy known to man to treat psychiatric maladies.

No hugs required.

S9

Welcome.

FWIW, psychiatry is nothing like what it was fifty years ago.

Nobody gets lobotomies anymore, yes ECT is safe but it's still a treatment of last measure and EPS is incredibly rare with modern APs. It's not common with the old ones either. I'm taking Thorazine and am not worried about it.

Welcome to Crazyboards, and I hope you find some useful information here.

If you don't like taking the meds for your panic attacks, look around in the forum on anxiety and you'll see some of the techniques our members are using. There are lots of approaches to GAD that don't involve meds.

Again, welcome, and I promise: no cyber hugs! heh There's some sick humor around here, but not a lot of hugging.

Good luck

olga

Thanks for the welcome and the assurance that this isn't just a board for people trying to figure out their 'cocktails'. I'd rather get my courage back in order, get away from having to take sedatives, and finally have a real mixed cocktail with some friends in a safe social situation like a nice dinner.

Just be forewarned that a lot of us don't have much sympathy for people who chose to feel like crap. It's up to you to decide if you're willing to do whatever it takes to feel better or not. If you're not willing to do everything in your power to feel better, it's your own damn fault that you're miserable.

That said, I totally understand the desire to want off benzos due to the whole addiction potential thing. Have you tried an SSRI?

I truly hate feeling sedated and hate the idea that I have use a pill or an ER when when I can't get the causes of my stress under control.

So why not link up for some intensive CBT for your panic?

Archived