CrazyBoards.org

Guest needalittlehelp

IM NEW TO THIS. I HOPE SOME1 CAN HELP. IV BEEN ON SUBOXONE FOR ABOUT 6 MO. THE FIRST 2 WEEKS I FELT SO SICK EVERYTIME I TOOK IT I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE, BUT I STUCK WITH IT.I WANTED TO GET OFF PAIN PILLS BADLY AFTER THE 2 WEEKS IT WORKED WITHOUT THE SICK FEELINGS. NOW I FEEL LIKE ITS NOT WORKING FOR ME ANYMORE. IS THIS NORMAL? OR SHOULD I LOOK FOR ANOTHER MED, LIKE METHADONE? IM NOT SURE IF ITS JUST ANOTHER FASE, OR WHAT.

Call your Suboxone prescriber and ask for an earlier appointment. It is not uncommon to need some dose adjustments early on.

It would help if you were more clear as to "not working for me anymore." If you don't feel high, but you're not craving, and the issue is boredom / unfamiliarity with this conscious-not-high state, then ride it out. If it's bad cravings, then call your doc sooner rather than later and see if you can get an app't this week.

Do not use more than prescribed, however, as that will probably invalidate any agreement you have with your Suboxone doc.

Can't tell you if methadone would be better or not for you, but, unless your area is teeming with methadone treatment centers, it's not in your immediate future.

Were you intending to use Suboxone just as a detox method, or for maintenance / long-term use?

Guest needalittlehelp

Call your Suboxone prescriber and ask for an earlier appointment. It is not uncommon to need some dose adjustments early on.

It would help if you were more clear as to "not working for me anymore." If you don't feel high, but you're not craving, and the issue is boredom / unfamiliarity with this conscious-not-high state, then ride it out. If it's bad cravings, then call your doc sooner rather than later and see if you can get an app't this week.

Do not use more than prescribed, however, as that will probably invalidate any agreement you have with your Suboxone doc.

Can't tell you if methadone would be better or not for you, but, unless your area is teeming with methadone treatment centers, it's not in your immediate future.

Were you intending to use Suboxone just as a detox method, or for maintenance / long-term use?

SILVER,

THANKS 4 UR REPLY. B4 THE SUB. I WAS ON VIC FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS. I TRIED STOPING COLD TURKY A FEW TIMES ( THE LONGEST 5 DAYZ) AND IT WAS THE WORST THING IV EVER BEEN THROUGH IN MYMLIFE!! I KNEW I NEEDED 2 FIND SOMTHING TO HELP ME WITH IT. SO I DID SOME RESEAARCH, AND READ ABOUT SUBOXONE, FOUND A DR ONLINE, AND STARTED RIGHT AWAY. I GUESS WHAT IM SAYN IS I DONT KNOW HOW LONG IM SUPPOSED TO BE ON IT. BUT I READ OF SOME PEOPLE WHO HAVE TO TAKE IT FOR THE REST OF THER LIVES.( I HOPE THATS NOT ME) AS FAR AS IT NOT WORKING, WITH WHAT IM TAKING, I START TO FEEL JUMPY AND RESTLESS BY NIGHTS END. I TAKE 1 PILL TOTAL A DAY ( 1/2 IN THE MORN, AND A,, 1/4 TWICE. IF I TAKE ANYMORE THEN THAT IM DEATHLY SICK. AND FOR THE DOCTOR, ITS $125 JUST TO SEE HIM, SO I WAS HOPEING SOME1 COULD HELP.

With all respect, how much were you spending on your Vicodin/day? Around here, we're lookin' at a minimum of a hundred dollar per day habit, usually 2-3x that much. So get some perspective, dear. Do you want to keep feeding a dragon that will never be satisfied, or do you want to get your shit together?

Right. I figured it was the getting your shit together answer, or you wouldn't be here... ;)

Did you try 1/2 twice, about 10-12h apart? It really should be a once-a-day drug. (For that matter, what about one tablet once per day?) What do you mean, "jumpy and restless by night's end?" When is night's end?

Do you find NA meetings to be of value?

What else are you doing with your time? Feeding a habit is a full time gig. It leave a big huge empty gap in your life. Something else needs to move in to fill it.

Remember that the discomfort you're feeling now is less than you felt in full-blown withdrawal, and that it's a lot less than the discomfort you've had when thinking about your addiction. That urge to score and use is going to rise and fall whether or not you get high.

It's OK to mourn it. Feeling like you've lost something or even someone precious to you isn't uncommon.

Do you think you could have been self-medicating for anxiety when you started taking the shit in the first place? If so, this could just be you returning to your natural state. That would mean that now you can start over and fix it the right way.

When taken correctly, Suboxone works wonders. I think because of your tolerance level you are not going to enjoy it's effects right away. Stick with it.

I've been taken Subox for almost 4 years now, and it works great. But, I also take it off label.

It's OK to mourn it. Feeling like you've lost something or even someone precious to you isn't uncommon.

Spoken like a true recovered dope fiend.

I was strung out on fentanyl until very recently. I was able to stop cold turkey, not at my insistence, but as required by the dual diagnosis (mental health/substance abuse) program I was in.

Opiod withdrawal is not as horrible as other kinds of withdrawal, for example, benzos. It is by no stretch a picnic, I was sick as hell for 5 days. However, now that I'm off the heavy hitters of Klonopin and Fentanyl, I am glad to have a clearer mind again. Our bodies adapt to the pain condition and then after too many years on painkillers the brain creates the pain condition whether it is truly there or not--kind of like the phantom pain of an amputee. It takes a couple months to begin to feel the brain building new pathways to compensate for the ones we've fried with overuse of drugs, and therefore be able to clearly ascertain what our current pain levels really are. I still have chronic, daily pain as a result of a number of ortho and systemic physical problems, but it's not nearly as bad as I fantasized it would be while I was on drugs and pondering, frightfully, going off of them.

If you want to get clean, a supervised taper by a qualified practitioner is the best route to take. 12 step groups can be helpful too, but by no means required.

FWIW from an old, clean dope fiend.

S9

• 2 months later...

Im sure Suboxone works for some people, I've been through opiate addiction issues for years. This last lapse i was heavy on roxies and when i began to WD hardcore I decided to go to a sub doc. I really do belive the man knows what he's talking about and is a good doc but in the end i spent soo much money between visits and actually filling the subs $200+. I used it for two months before I realized it wasent helping me rather just prolonging my problem. I did a quicker taper than suggested simply because of lack of funds manned up and im finally on the other side and feel much better off it all

• 1 month later...

Im sure Suboxone works for some people, I've been through opiate addiction issues for years. This last lapse i was heavy on roxies and when i began to WD hardcore I decided to go to a sub doc. I really do belive the man knows what he's talking about and is a good doc but in the end i spent soo much money between visits and actually filling the subs $200+. I used it for two months before I realized it wasent helping me rather just prolonging my problem. I did a quicker taper than suggested simply because of lack of funds manned up and im finally on the other side and feel much better off it all

I'm glad to hear you're doing better. You're not the only one who had trouble with Subx. I took it to get off (legally prescribed and legally taken, properly tapered) methadone and had an awful time with the Sub. And the money was a genuine problem - the doc got $1200 up front and the subx was about $400/month plus antidepressants (lexapro at $120). I pushed myself to taper before the doc wanted me too because I knew I was going to run out of money and be SOL. I'm 6 months off the sub and am not sure that I'm not still feeling its effects. I would never take it again. That said, I have heard that it works wonders for some people - maybe even most people but its not for everyone.

If the guest who asked the original question ages ago is still out there, please think hard before you try methadone. The withdrawls from that are going to make your vicodin withdrawls look like a walk in the park, and that is assuming you stick with it and taper as prescribed. It is also very easy to get trapped into a life long term at a methadone clinic. That may be the best option for some people, but if you want to be off of everything, then don't start with methadone and don't linger too long on the Subx. (These are of course just the opinions of an ex-heroin addict who spent way more time and probably nearly as much money on methadone and subx than heroin and still isn't sure it was worth it.) Good luck.

Archived