CrazyBoards.org

NY Times Article on abuse of Autistic and ADD children in Schools

[link=http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/15/health/15restraint.html?8dpc" target="_blank]Calm Down or Else[/link]

For more than a decade, parents of children with developmental and psychiatric problems have pushed to gain more access to mainstream schools and classrooms for their sons and daughters. One unfortunate result, some experts say, is schools’ increasing use of precisely the sort of practices families hoped to avoid by steering clear of institutionalized settings: takedowns, isolation rooms, restraining chairs with straps, and worse.

this article is extremely upsetting.

I'm not terribly in favor of mainstreaming. A middle school I attended first did that around 1971. It didn't do anything to improve my education, and I don't think the retarded kids got anything out of advance chemistry/biology. harumph.

a.m.

[edit] What a nightmare for the teachers; having to manhandle students to get them under control. Teachers have been successfully sued for touching students just by trying to break up fights. How do you win? There needs to be a lot more thought into how to deal with special needs students.

It's a nightmare for everyone involved. The teachers generally have no idea what to do about it and are totally unprepared, so they screw up, and that's not even getting into how hard it is to deal with even a large group of well-behaved kids in middle school/high school or how under-supported/compensated the teachers are to begin with. The kids are probably not too thrilled about being pinned to the ground and/or accidentally killed, either. It also can't be terribly good/healthy/conducive to learning in anyway for the other kids to see that happening or have their limited time taken up by that. Everyone loses.

The problem is schools tell parents that the teachers are trained and that there are helpers there trained to help kids with these disorders. Parents are being told that their child's needs will be accommodated and the schools aren't telling the truth a lot of the time.

The problem is schools tell parents that the teachers are trained and that there are helpers there trained to help kids with these disorders. Parents are being told that their child's needs will be accommodated and the schools aren't telling the truth a lot of the time.

Seriously?! Do the public schools also make those claims? It seems like they'd have less incentive to do it...

Archived