CrazyBoards.org

Dissolving Lithium powder into Ovaltine

Hi there everyone.

The doctor just changed medications to 300mg Lithium Caps which I am going to have to take three a day(eventually.)

I cannot and never have been able to swallow pills, it makes me throw up. I tried opening the caps and mixing the powder with applesauce (what they do at the children hospital) last night, but the taste also made me throw up. Tonight, I dissolved it in Ovaltine with milk like I have with other medications in the past and that hid the taste fine, but I'm not sure if that's okay to do. Has anyone ever had experience with this? Is this okay to do? If not applesauce than what can mask the flavor enough for me to take this? Thanks

It's fine to do, it just increases the odds of nausea quite a bit. If you aren't vomiting it up, no harm done. I am extrapolating here from my guide, which says that you can mix it into chocolate pudding, which has the same basic constituents as Ovaltine.

Lithium's taste is best hidden, IMO, in salty or tangy things.... um, ranch dip? (ergh.)

I have to think about whether or not you could mix it into 7-Up. Lithium citrate was in 7-Up until ~1950, so it would have a nice historic symmetry to it...

You can get lithium citrate as a liquid - most pharmacies would have to order it. It is orange flavored and not awful tasting.

It's fine to do, it just increases the odds of nausea quite a bit. If you aren't vomiting it up, no harm done. I am extrapolating here from my guide, which says that you can mix it into chocolate pudding, which has the same basic constituents as Ovaltine.

Lithium's taste is best hidden, IMO, in salty or tangy things.... um, ranch dip? (ergh.)

I have to think about whether or not you could mix it into 7-Up. Lithium citrate was in 7-Up until ~1950, so it would have a nice historic symmetry to it...

You can get lithium citrate as a liquid - most pharmacies would have to order it. It is orange flavored and not awful tasting.

Thanks for the reply! I'll keep going with the Ovaltine until my blood test then:-) I know about lithium citrate but with no health insurance right now the $4 dollar prescription at Target for the caps really helps with my money situation. I don't know the conversion for how much lithium citrate I would need to = 900 mg from the caps, but the cheapest bottle is $60. Bottom line is I need to take the cheep stuff. Thank you silver!

If anyone else also wants to comment on how to mask the terrible taste of the powder please do:-)

Archived