CrazyBoards.org

Well, I'm not a girl, so I've never had a period even when not on Topamax. I do know about what its liver enzyme induction can do and have experienced some of it first hand, though. It doesn't screw with stuff like that as much as things like Depakote or Tegretol or Trileptal, but it does have a moderate effect. One of the things it can do is raise clearance rates of some hormones, so it can moderately change hormone levels/balances. I suppose that could conceivably cause something like that to happen to you, and it's what we hypothesize was responsible for my hair falling out a bit faster and some minor sexual side effects I had, both on Topamax and Trileptal. Or, if you're one of the people who loses weight on it, if your body fat has dropped too low, that would also stop it.

Completely unrelated, one of the other enzymes it screws with (carbonic anhydrase) is what is probably responsible for it causing kidney stones occasionally, and is also probably related to why it can make carbonated things taste funny.

Well, I'm not a girl, so I've never had a period even when not on Topamax. I do know about what its liver enzyme induction can do and have experienced some of it first hand, though. It doesn't screw with stuff like that as much as things like Depakote or Tegretol or Trileptal, but it does have a moderate effect. One of the things it can do is raise clearance rates of some hormones, so it can moderately change hormone levels/balances. I suppose that could conceivably cause something like that to happen to you, and it's what we hypothesize was responsible for my hair falling out a bit faster and some minor sexual side effects I had, both on Topamax and Trileptal. Or, if you're one of the people who loses weight on it, if your body fat has dropped too low, that would also stop it.

Completely unrelated, one of the other enzymes it screws with (carbonic anhydrase) is what is probably responsible for it causing kidney stones occasionally, and is also probably related to why it can make carbonated things taste funny.

Good question. Depakote and respirdal are the most likely suspects for my BP girlfriend being 7 to 14!!! days late her last 3 cycles, and the cycle prior to that came 7 days early! Needless to say my anxiety has got to the point where abstaning from sex is now the only option for now until we figure what the heck is going on.

how long have you been on topamax? also, are you sure you ca narrow it down to the topamax? you are on other meds and you do have other things going on in your life. to me, that constitutes a whole lot of confounding variables.

are you on any type of birth control?

but how long have you been missing periods? other things can contribute too... like stress or nutrition deficiency...

this is something to talk to a doctor about. no matter what answer you get here, you should see a doctor.

This is definitely worth checking up on. Having no periods might seem like a picnic, but it's really not good for a woman's body to have no menstrual cycle. The steady release of hormones helps with calcium absorption, so the absence of periods can lead to problems with your bones (such as osteoporosis) later on in life. I've had irregular periods my whole life, and there been times where they stopped all together for several months at a time. I now have degenerative disc disease in my back, and the doctors aren't sure what's causing it, but they think that my lack of regular periods is a possible culprit.

I'm also on Topomax and have not had a period in nearly 6 months. But I'm also on Navane, which is probably the culprit my doc says. You should definitely talk to your doc about it, as my doc recognizes that I can't go on forever just not having periods (although I'm loving this side effect). My periods are horrible, so I'm happy as a clam!

Archived