CrazyBoards.org

If you only had 1 benzo

I'd go for sublingual ativan if you need something that works fast. I'm not sure how long it stays in your system, however. I personally prefer valium - it takes about 20 mins to kick in for me and lasts for several hours.

Guest jimjab

I'm thinking of asking my pdoc for a benzo for breakthrough anxiety attacks. Anyone can suggest what I should ask for? I need something that works fast and is relatively long-lasting.

4 seizures I first had ativan. Worked for awhile, but then it was not so good. I believe it will stay in the system for 3 days which was good. Now on valium which dissolves & kicks in quicker than ativan, but doesn't remain as long. For me, ativan made me doped up & tired, while valium does not. All you can do is start on the top of the list & go from there.

they are all somewhat sedating ro calming its the dosages that that can make you moreso sleepy. ativan made me very tired when i was up to 4 mg a day. im on 1 mg a day of klonopin now and i dont even need naps anymore. plus i find it easier to socially drink and not get wacked out then when i was on ativan.

go for klonopin or valium thaey take a bit longer then ativan to kick in but they last longer in your system.

I take both Clonazapam and Lorazepam, and I'd definitely go with the Clonazepam (Klonopin). It chills me out without any side effects that I notice and it works fairly fast. I take 1 mg three times per day and augment it with 1mg Lorazepam (Ativan) twice a day. It seems to act a bit slower.

• 3 weeks later...

How often do you have breakthrough anxiety? How long does it last?

For me, it only takes an itsy-bitsy, teeny-tiny dose (.25 mg to .5 mg) of Xanax under the tongue to quell a panic attack or severe-but-momentary anxiety. If you just get extremely anxious in spurts, it might not be an idea to go for a low dose of under-the-tongue (is that sublingual?) Xanax.

But the long lasting thing, I'd opt for Ativan or Klonopin--probably Klonopin. Thing is, if you need it to kick in right away, you're S.O.L. It takes a good half hour before you start to feel calmer, and an hour before full effects typically set in. But maybe a daily low dose of Klonopin would work for you instead of taking it as needed? (I'm no doctor.)

One thing, though. When I first started taking Klonopin, it made me EXTREMELY tired. We're talking falling asleep at the wheel. So take the "don't operate machinery" warning seriously until your system gets used to it. However, don't quit! After about a week, I found the sleepiness had subsided, and Klonopin actually INCREASED my energy level. (I never would've guessed anxiety could be so exhausting that being on a benzo could actually perk you up?)

Archived