CrazyBoards.org

:Trigger: cuts maybe deep?

Guest em

I used to cut much more, and I thank God I don't anymore... I think it's been at least 2 and a half months, which for me, is good. But they had gotten deeper, and I was wondering if anyone else ever cuts to where they can see the tissue of the skin? I remember sometimes it being so wide a cut and deep, that I felt queasy looking at it. Yuck... what a horrific thing to do to yourself, God help us all ;)

that's great that you're cutting less often.

but please be careful with the deep cuts, they really can be dangerous.

some deep cuts you can take care of at home with steri strips, but do not hesitate to go to the ER if you need stitches. i was never held in the psych ward for coming in with self injury. (though if you need to stay inpatient, please do so). i sometimes used lame excuses for my cuts, but i've also been forthright and allowed to go home. it is important to care for your wounds.

are you seeing a tdoc? working on coping mechanisms to help you not cut. what has been working for you, allowing you to got 2 plus months? (maybe your coping skills will work for others.)

sometimes you can build up a lot of tension working on not cutting, and it's important to have an outlet for the tension and for the pain that is the underlying cause of the self injury.

(and yes, i've cut through skin to the fat layer. i wish i hadn't. but the memories fade.)

best,

penny

I find that cutting can be addicting (meaning that, over time, you would need more cuts or deeper cuts to get the same effect). There was a study done on this but I can't seem to find it now. I used to be placated with just one cut (in grade school), now I need to cut about a hundred times, and deeper to get the same effect. I think this is a natural history of the disease (if we can call it that.)

Archived