CrazyBoards.org

Most of the time I hear music in my head. It's all stuff I've heard before. The main issue I have is that usually it's music I hate. I try to fight it by introducing music I like. This goes back and forth for a while and the shitty music wins. Some times it's so bad I can only clutch my head and rock back and forth. Meds don't help. there's a lot more going on but I don't have time to write it all out. This one thing is bugging me most right now.

This happens to me ALL THE TIME. Luckily, at this very moment, the song in my head is one I like. Only it's the same two measures over and over and over and over.... I hate the loops!

I've never found a foolproof way of decimating crap songs that are stuck in my head, but I've found if I can listen to the song in its entirety (put it in a playlist with stuff you LOVE or like if possible), when it plays completely, then runs into another few songs and you're not really paying attention, it kind of makes your brain forget that it was concentrating on it to begin with.

Do you play any instruments? Rock out some songs on those, that helps sometimes.

I think the key is to heavily occupy your brain with something or to distract it with something else.

Good luck!

Most of the time I hear music in my head. It's all stuff I've heard before. The main issue I have is that usually it's music I hate. I try to fight it by introducing music I like. This goes back and forth for a while and the shitty music wins. Some times it's so bad I can only clutch my head and rock back and forth. Meds don't help. there's a lot more going on but I don't have time to write it all out. This one thing is bugging me most right now.

Read Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks.

It has an extended description of this phenomenon. It is not necessarily related to schizophrenia and a lot more common than you'd believe.

Archived