CrazyBoards.org

Jerk!

Ben

I work at a Walmart in a small town.  I started working there as part of my recovery from schizophrenia, to get out of the house and do something other than worry about my problems.  It sucks having a college degree and working at Wallyworld, but it's a paycheck and it makes me feel better.  Sometimes I feel like I've wasted four years of my life going to college just to work in a shitty retail job, but then I remember why I'm there and what it's doing for me.  But then today, some jerk that I know has to come along and say, "Did you go to college for four years to work at Walmart?  I hope my son doesn't end up working here after four years of college."  What a dick!  And I'm a bigger dick for not telling him to fuck off.  He doesn't know why I'm working there.  Now I can just imagine people gossiping about me, talking about how big of a loser I am for working at Walmart.  I'm lucky to be able to work, dammit!  I'll use my degree when I'm goddamn good and ready, people. 

Ahh, that felt good. ;)

ha ha Ben!

you're not the only person with a degree who is working at Wally world, (or mcdonalds, gah for me it was Home Depot)

our job outlook just isn't that good these days and more ppl are being laid off every year.  you're no freak man.

"Did you go to college for four years to work at Walmart?  I hope my son doesn't end up working here after four years of college." 

whoever said that should be prepared for that possibility.

Ben,

I too am under-utilized in my current occupation. It makes you feel lousy when you think of where you are as compared to where you should be, or think you should be. Then you realize you have some extra challenges and you and I will use our degrees when the time is right. I am not giving up. No bloody way!

I'm scared to move on from where I am, I am pretty secure there, but I am just going to have to deal with fear and move on, because its time for me I believe.

So you are not doomed, just delayed. You didn't study for years so you could work at Walmart, you studied to get ahead in life. For you and me, our career path is a little different. Hey, if you are doing a good job there, then you might feel inclined to submit your resume with a notion of getting a promotion. Walmart is a big company right? You might be able to move around in the company. That would get your career started.  Well its a possibility. There are many possbilites for moving ahead. When you are ready, you will start finding them.

I'm with ya guy.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that, Ben!  People are stupid and make assuptions about people when they really shouldn't.  Don't pay attention to what some good-for-nothing asshole has to say.  They do not understand what you have been through to get this far.  You are doing just fine in my book and you definately have the right attitude: you'll used that fucking degree when you're good and ready!  If anyone has a problem with it, they can go fuck themselves bc you don't deserve to have anyone treat you like that. 

don't worry - you're good

~Ophelia

Believe me Ben, I live in a small town and there are a lot of four-year degree college kids who have to work at Devil-Mart just to pay off their loans.  You're not the only one, babe.

My cousin worked at Devil-Mart and told his manager one night he was a Daft Cunt and walked out because he was tired of being his little guinea pig, so to speak and his mother works there too.  All I had to say to my cousin was, BRAVO!

I don't respect Wally World, that's why I call it Devil-Mart, so I hear ya and feel your pain.  Hang in there, one day you'll be able to use your smarts in your field.  It may take time, but I'm sure when it does happen, you'll be happy as a pig in shit!

Elizabeth

"Did you go to college for four years to work at Walmart?  I hope my son doesn't end up working here after four years of college." 

whoever said that should be prepared for that possibility.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Best thing I have read in days!

And Ben do what you can for now, you can't beat going to work somewhere, anywhere, and still being happy as a pig in shit.

Erika

Hey Ben-

Climbing out of schizophrenia is no small feat in itself. I congratulate you my friend on having the oomph to pull it off. That being said-

...I wonder what your dickhead friend would think if his son had schizophrenia?

(sorry, no pig shit reference) oh! I just said it!

Ben I can tell from reading your posts that you have a great attitude about your illness.  That, my boy, will take you further than your degree!  You are destined for something good with your outlook.  Stay well, Sulu

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"As a matter of fact, yes. This is my part of my abnormal psych research on jackasses in the retail market,

and you've just added a footnote to my master's thesis. Have a nice day and thank you for shopping

here at WalMart." 

My husband has been complaining about being a 41 year old pizza delivery driver. Well, he is a small newspaper owner who works part time as a pizza driver to help pay some old bills (run up during a manic episode).

I had to point out there is no better job for someone with wild BP mood swings. Where else do you only have to deal with people for 2 minutes at a shot, make $12-$15 per hour, and get to listen to the radio and smoke whenever you want????

And, if he is having a really bad day, or needs to see a pdoc or tdoc, he can usually call and get a schedule change at a moments notice. Plus, he just found out that one of the other drivers is ALSO bp so he has someone to talk about this stuff with.

Delivery driving is not a glamour job by any stretch of the imagination and neither is working at Walmart....but if you have a serious mental illness, the fact that you are able to work AT ALL is something you should be very proud of!!!

I applaud you ;)

Delivery driving is not a glamour job by any stretch of the imagination and neither is working at Walmart....but if you have a serious mental illness, the fact that you are able to work AT ALL is something you should be very proud of!!!

My son has been delivering pizzas all summer while he is out of college. He has been dx'd w/ anxiety problems and he has mild mood swings. He loves his job because of the reasons you list. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to maintain your sanity, including low-stress job choices.

I applaud you ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sometimes I forget about that.

I'll second that. I'm too mentally ill to work, and i really admire anyone who can. My husband's paranoid schizophrenic, and he works AND supports me, so I know what a day-to-day struggle it can be.

You should be proud of yourself.

Although I'm from Brooklyn, I grew up in a small town in PA. It's hard to find any kind of job in a small town, and there are very, very few that utilize a college degree.

So you do not just have to find a job, you have to relocate. That's just as hard, if not harder than finding and keeping a job.

You will find your way. It's good that you can go to work.

That guy was so rude and inappropriate, you shouldn't even think about his comment.

People can be amazingly crass. Here's something a woman said to me at a school parents meeting once. I was talking about the dog I would soon be bringing home and she said, "You're so brave to get a dog, it's a lot of work. It's like having a retarded child."

Can you imagine? It was so repellant on so many levels, towards kids, dogs, the developmentally disabled you name it.

I should have told her my younger son has autism, but I was too nice to put her on the spot. (My son is a great kid by the way, very smart and funny. But who knows what kind of job he'll end up having? I just want him to be happy.)

Forget that guy. Be glad he's not your father.

• 5 weeks later...

It was good to hear someone say that anyone of us with MI who is able to work should be applauded.  That is really true. 

I berate myself for having a Master's degree and working for $8 an hour with no benefits.  It is humiliating in a way, but on the other hand, I cracked up at high stress jobs and ended up in the hospital.  Clearly, my IQ exceeds my brain's ability to handle stress.  It is really aggravating.

Ok, back to applauding.  It IS an accomplishment to come from my lowpoint of psychotic depression to now holding a job.  We should get paid quadruple because we have to try 4x as hard as non.MI people.  So, I should be making $32 an hour. Yep.  I should.

Dammit.

And I should have fucking health insurance.  I just spent an evening in the ER with no health insurance.  Can't wait to see that bill.

Archived