CrazyBoards.org

Any word on the new Wellbutrin xl 150 generic?

Hey all. I know that they just released this. And my super cool insurance company jacked up my co-pay big time on the regular stuff.

Just wondering if any of you have been using it. Ok? Not ok?

I didn't have much luck with the budeprion version, but at the time I had also switched from xl to sr, so maybe that was my issue. My doc is not a big fan of generics, but I have a funny feeling he might make more money than me ;)

Saving a few bucks would be nice (my husband's asthma and my batshit brain are costing $160 a month), but I don't want to screw around with it if it's shady.

Thanks

Some generics may actually work better (at least for some people) than the brand name versions. The main thing, though, is that they may very well be different (whether they fall within the +/- 20% bioavailability difference FDA requirement--or is it only a recommendation?).

All that said, I have no experience with the XL generic, and I'm actually very curious about what people here will say.

All that said, I have no experience with the XL generic, and I'm actually very curious about what people here will say.

me too. i want the generic to be effective... so i can stop relying on sample boxes... i'm hoping to hear some experiences!

Which new generic are we talking about? Does anyone know who is the manufacturer? I'd like to know, too because I'm getting socked with big bills for the name brand stuff. The Bupropion made by Teva sure didn't work, so I hope this one is better.

olga

Which new generic are we talking about? Does anyone know who is the manufacturer? I'd like to know, too because I'm getting socked with big bills for the name brand stuff. The Bupropion made by Teva sure didn't work, so I hope this one is better.

olga

Weird. This article is from 2006...

http://www.webmd.com/depression/news/20061...xl-goes-generic

(It lists the manufacturer. I've never heard of them.)

I just checked out the $hit that my insurance company sent and the new 150 xl is by Teva. They are the same fools that made the budeprion that I mentioned. It did sorta work, but I was drenched in sweat all day. Again, that was the sr formula so who knows?

I never was leary of generics until I tried Zolpidem (generic Ambien) and could set my clocks by 4 am awakenings, haha!

Oddly enough, the best Wellbutrin I ever took was the Thai version "Quomen" (also gsk) when I lived there awhile. It gets handed out like candy there because everybody is trying to stop smoking. My neighbor was like "what!! it cures sadness, too?" Maybe the sun and beaches made that version better, or maybe it was the $10 monthly price tag....

I'll keep checking back to see if anyone has used this stuff. It's so interesting that the 20% variance can make all the difference to some of us. Thanks all!

Birdie, the Teva bupropion that I took (300XL) is the one that "Peoples Pharmacy" kept hearing about from their readers. Consumers Lab (which does not accept funding from drug companies) tested it and found that they hadn't perfected the coating. This affected the release of the active ingredients: it seems that most of the stuff was released in the first 4 hours. If you take it in the morning, it meant that your morning was fine, but by late afternoon you'd be an unhappy camper.

Here's a link:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/4...wellbutrin.html

I'm not sure how to see the Consumers Lab report without subscribing to the thing.

Also, here's a link to a thread started by Greenyflower, when she was first put on the generic. As you will see when you read it, some people did okay on it, and others (like me) did not. I had to have my doctor specify WB, and I'm paying through the nose for it.

http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.ph...p;hl=wellbutrin

I hope that helps.

olga

I'm a 'brand specific' patient too-- the Teva 300mg xl and I did not.play.nice.

I have to check and double check that I have the pdoc say brand name only because every single month, the pharmacy wants to switch me over to generic and I have to wait for them to order brand name since they don't even stock it anymore where I am due to teva's version. But the hassle is worth it. For instance:

I remember when everyone was getting switched over when the 300 teva xl came out and there were a *lot* of other complaints...my depression wasn't nearly as under control with the generic, it was very unsettling being 'fine' one minute, just to collapse into a puddle of sobs that same day, and it made me go off food--like all food sounded disgusting because my stomach was so wonky (my roommate at the time couldn't keep it down, but she has a crazycrazy sensitive stomach from years of harsh acne meds, so may not be the best example).

After hearing the findings about the Teva coating, my experience makes more sense-- the rollercoaster probably had to do with the uneven amount in my system since the 'extended release' wasn't working like the brand name, and the same thing with that amount being released all at once certainly could have been causing my stomach problems.

All this said:

YMMV!

Also, teva may have worked on its coating since the crazy amount of complaints with the 300mg tabs, and the 150s might be fine-- or maybe the release mechanism isn't as big of a problem with a lower dose?

I personally won't touch it because of my experience-- I've decided that since I'm stable-- I'm gonna STAY that way and not go messing with meds. Of course, now that I have insurance again, I know that I'm luckyashell to be able to make this decision (went three months w/out insurance and Wellbutrin XL 450mg daily was costing me $385 and change per month. as a student. this not including $150 lamictal and a (thankfully) cheap $40 generic zoloft-- there is no way that I could have managed that another month, so I can sympathize from the money aspect) but my new rule is: if it ain't broke...ya know.

good luck, this probably wasn't super helpful, but I wish someone had warned me before my teva experience-- I still might have *tried* it, but I wouldn't have stayed so miserable for so long if I knew that I could just switch back and it wasn't 'just me'.

meg

This affected the release of the active ingredients: it seems that most of the stuff was released in the first 4 hours. If you take it in the morning, it meant that your morning was fine, but by late afternoon you'd be an unhappy camper.

this what happens to me on WB SR, so i wouldn't risk the teva XL when i saw the hullabaloo... the different release methods made all the difference for me (and i don't ever want this stuff to stop working). i'd be so happy to see a new generic with better design... i could finally ditch my GP for a new one (who may not have samples!) because my insurance would pay!

the teva and I didnt play nice either... at all, so i needed to put an appeal into the insurance company in order for them to cover *some* of the cost.

recently, though, they decided that they werent going to do it anymore. they felt it wasnt necessary. it didnt matter that my pdoc called... yelling, screaming, crying... didn't matter...

sooo... my pharmacy is no longer using teva (they were horse pills anyway, lol). They are using... I think Watson. I haven't been on it for too long, but it is *definitely* not as bad as the teva. it isnt my brand, but it sure as hell isnt the fucking teva...

Thanks all for posting the links and info. After engaging my inner scientist and sifting through it all, I'm going to stick with the brand. The release mechanism thing makes sense. I don't want to get in a manic fist fight at the grocery store at noon and fall asleep by 6. Not worth the 20 spot I'd save. I'll just think of it as having the original designer mood accessory and not the cheesy knockoff ;)

And seeing others' experience with sr--mine went like this:

8-pill

9-sweats

10-magic hour! work out

11-crappy, I'd watch Price is Right

12-new pill

1-sweats

2-sweet! house cleaning

3-crappy, General Hospital time

5 and rest of the evening-jet fueled turbo bitch.

11-blessed Ambien

I kept a journal that month and don't care to relive it. Especially because GH sucks these days.

Archived