CrazyBoards.org

Doc Wants To Prescribe Remeron

For some reason, I don't know why, the doctor I'm seeing in the partial program wants to prescribe me Remeron (don't know the dosage). I'm reading that it can be used for depression and according to the PI sheet, has a very low risk of mania.

(Mania/hypomania occurred in approximately 0.2% (3/1299 patients) of REMERON

• 2 weeks later...

I always say "why not", heh.

Is your doc adding it onto your current meds, or replacing med/s with it?

There are studies showing that Remeron greatly increases how effective Effexor works when the two are taken together.

I am not sure if you're the nerdy type, but this study: [link=http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=2424118" target="_blank]http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...p;artid=2424118[/link] showed that mixing drugs in Remeron's class with conventional SS/N/RI antidepressants (like Lexapro or Effexor) makes help depression lift faster.

As per that paper I linked, mirtazapine (Remeron) is actually a partial serotonin blocker, blocking receptors serotonin-2A/C and serotonin-3. The authors feel that activation of 2A/C is responsible for some negative SSRI effects, and that blocking 2A/C will lead to your serotonin instead into more beneficial receptors (such as serotonin-1A).

Serotonin-3 receptors are mostly found in your nausea/vomiting alert centers (I have espisodes of severe nausea due to my infection and terminate them with a Remeron SolTab, otherwise, they turn into episodes of violent projectiling!) and may have little to do with psychiatry. Please note though that Remeron is NOT approved by the US FDA for this kind of usage.

However, in terms of mania activation, I'm not sure, and that's where I get worried. Please discuss this extensively with your pdoc before you're prescribed Remeron as an add-on to your current "cocktail".

Archived